Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Weird spedo issue?

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by BAlbert 540i6, Mar 27, 2008.

BAlbert 540i6

Weird speedo issue?

I have a 1999 540i 6 speed. Occasionally, when starting the car, my DSC light, ABS light, and Brake/DBC light all come on. if i drive away these lights stay on, everything is fine with the car as far as driving goes, except for the speedo and the mileage, they do not work. the RPM does, but not MPH or mileage.

Now, this doesnt happen all the time, far from it. it is just so random. It seems like if i quickly turn the car over and start to drive off right away, it happens. If i turn the car to accessory, let the car "boot up" - then start it, everything is fine.

this is real weird, but like i said, everything else is fine with the car. it seems like a computer issue of some sort? i am just keeping an eye on it. i am definitely cautious upon starting the car up though.

Any thoughts?

BAlbert 540i6

After researching on bimmer forums i have decided to take off the ABS module and send it to module masters for rebuild. it is only $300 (compared to $850 the dealer wants.) Module masters rebuild the module and reinforce it with more heat conduscive plastics. they give a 5 year warranty also.