Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Water Leak 2004 X3

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by MyWifesX3, Jul 1, 2008.

MyWifesX3 guest

Hello Fellow Club Members:

My wife and I joined BCCA last October when we purchased our 2004 X-3. We just returned from a road trip to Nashville, TN back to the Triangle. During the massive rainstorm last night, my wife noticed a water drip under the right side of the dash that was dripping on her feet. When the rain was at its heaviest, she noticed the drip occurred at one minute intervals. As the rain became lighter the interval increased from two to three minutes between drops. Is this the sign of a leaking windshield or sunroof, any ideas?

Also, even though we are enjoying this vehicle immensely, there is another minor issue I would like to solicit member opinions. The issue concerns extended use, usually three to four hours of continuous play, and then the CD becomes jammed. When this happens, the message board displays "NO CD" and will not eject the CD when the ejection button is pressed (not the ejection seat button). Does anyone have an idea what causes this issue? The CD can usually be coaxed out with a little twist of a pair of tweezers.

Your answers are eagerly awaited.

With best regards,

Edward

dmason2002

I can't help with the cd, but we do see water leaks from the sunroof drain tubes that run from the corner of the roof through the a pillar to the fenderwell, any perforation of the tube or poor fit of the boot that joins the tube to the roof can let water through, which is directed behind the dash by the pillar trim. To diagnose, the a pillar trim is removed, and water is poured in the drain hole, visible in the corner when the sunroof is open.
    The tube is visible, as will be any leaks.

Bimmerdan

I've had drops of cold water drip onto my passenger's feet on really humid days when the A/C is on in my 318ti. Water seems to condense under there somewhere every now and then and usually drips on my wife's foot when she's wearing open toed shoes...that's always good for a surprise!!

I would follow Dave's (dmason2002) suggestion though, he's the expert and it doesn't sound like our water drips are the same. (Nice to see you on the forums Dave!!)

As for the CD, the only time I've had an issue is when I'm using a CD I recorded myself. For some reason, certain tracks aren't always recognized and suddenly the player will simply ignore the disc. It won't eject it because it doesn't think there's one in it. Are you using commercially prerecorded CD's or are these your own?

MyWifesX3 guest

Dave and Don:

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful indeed. The X3 is still under warranty, however, with your information I will at least be able to talk intelligently with the service advisor.

Don -- as for the CDs, they are commercially prerecorded CDs. One was Genesis and the other Chris Isaak. Maybe the Bimmer just doesn't like our taste in music . . . just kidding.

Finally, I apologize for my delay in responding.

Take care,

Edward

Masaaki Takeda

I also have 2004 X3 with 25,000Kilometers. My wife and I share the same X3 enjoy driving it immensely. As for CD, I did recognized while my CD was playing it suddenly stopped and switched to a FM radio station. This happened several times but now the problem is all gone. I did nothing to the problem and solved! To me It was a very strange experience, may be caused by some local electric jamms.
    Regards,
    Masaaki Takeda