Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Water getting in right rear floorboard

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by casualvic, Oct 24, 2010.

casualvic guest

I have been getting a large amount of water in my right rear floorboard on my 2007 530 xi. I have poured water in the sunroof holes on front right and the water comes out of the drain tubes in the front and a little bit comes out of the rear. One time there was about an inch of water, and it started smelling. I have replaced the sunroof seal but fear something else may be the problem. Any suggestions or prior experience?

dms540i

Are the a/c evaporator drain tubes plugged up with debris? If they are good I would look to the vapor barriers behind the rear door panels. Both of these are notorious failure points that lead to wet carpets in the E39. It wouldn't surprise me if these issues continued into the E60.

casualvic guest

that sounds interesting, I remomoved the rear seat and there are wires that run to the rear and in the path of those wires, a stream of water came down and into the floorboard. Would you happen to know were I can see a diagram or picture? thanks allot

granthr

casualvic guest

thanks for the info, when having a problem like this, theres no telling what the problem can be! so I will check and try to troble shoot. I took it to my local BMW dealer and for starters the representative was not very helpful. I purchased an extended warranty that is suppose to be like factory (ASC)and he stated the warranty will not cover it. He didnt explain what they did to the vehicle to determine possible problem but he said it will cost $600 to remove the headliner and check the drains. This problem makes me very sad to know that I have a BMW and I have such a problem with it. Thanks for the info and I will continue to search for the problem.

bcweir

Be very careful if you have side airbags when removing the door panels

You will have to disconnect the battery, but if you do that, you will lose all memory settings in radio and have to recode your radio as well as any individual settings.

Solution to that is to purchase a "memory saver" device from Bavauto. Basically it's a 9 volt battery that plugs into your cigarette lighter and provides power to your individual settings (especially the radio anti-theft code). It costs $10.00.

Another recommendation is to purchase a Bentley manual so that you can find the correct procedure for removing the door panel without tripping the SRS light, which will require a trip to the dealer if you don't have a tool to reset the light.

Zeichen311

BMW radios no longer need to be recoded after being disconnected and reconnected, nor have they for quite some time (over ten years). It's also possible to retain the presets while the battery is disconnected but I don't recall the precise trick--I think you simply need to switch off the radio itself before shutting off the ignition (and then disconnecting the battery). The BavAuto code-keeper tool is for older models.

I completed many service tasks on my '01 E46 that required battery disconnection and never needed to recode the radio or re-enter presets.

Pyewacket1

If this is a 2007 model, is it not still under the 4 year warranty?

Steven Otto

It depends on the in service date. My 07 has an in service date of 11/18/06 which means in about 3 weeks, mine is done.

casualvic guest

It's over 55k miles though