Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Water entering car through rear passenger door

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by elgersma, Feb 24, 2016.

elgersma 82 BMW 633CSI, 02 BMW 540i, 04 BMW 330Ci

I have noticed during the last few rain falls that water is entering the car and collecting on the passenger rear side floor. I have looked at it several times and there appears to be an excessive amount of water getting inside the door (during heavy rainfall) which is trying to drain out through the bottom.
    It appears most of the water is deflected out by the door threshold, but for some reason some of the water is making its way inside of the car.
    I haven't figured out why this much water is getting inside the door, and 2nd, I can't figure out how the water is getting over the threshold and onto the floor.
    The weep holes at the bottom of the door all work fine, it's almost as if there is too much water coming into the door and can't drain fast enough, and therefore some of it gets inside and onto the floor.
    Not sure where all this water is entering the door in the first place, .. window appear to be tightly sealed in place.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I had a similar problem with a 2011 535i and found that the dealer did not replace the plastic sealer around the inside of the door after they had worked on it. Dealer found the left rear vapor barrier had not been properly secured to the door.

charlson89

Yes do check your vapor barrier sealant if it is not sealed water will get into the vehicle.

elgersma 82 BMW 633CSI, 02 BMW 540i, 04 BMW 330Ci

Thanks for the advice, ... will be checking it this weekend.

Ken.S.330

Do you have a sunroof? Could it be a plugged drain that is leaking into the car? I am just throwing out a suggestion, I have no experience with this car.

I feel your pain.This seems to be a common complaint. I have an 03 touring that gets water sometimes. My mechanic has been through vapor barriers and door seals. Now it's usually water tight but if it's hitting just right I still get damp floor pans. If you have any other ideas please post. At the moment I'm at a loss.

charlson89

I recommend checking the sunroof drains if the vapor barriers are water tight.

althund

I had same problem. I would recommend checking under the carpet for water. There is a lot of foam insulation that easily absorbs water. I had over a gallon soaked in the foam, plus another 1/2 gallon in the floor pan. Getting the carpet up is not a 5 minute job. However it is the best way to tell. If u don't want to do that, u can remove one of the round plastic disks that holes the floor mats down. Once out, just push down around the the floor and look in the hole for water. This may or may not give u a true answer. Also, if u have water in the back, it likely moved to the front as well. I took out all my seats and folded the carpet back. Took 2 weeks to totally dry. Was worth it though. 2002 M5

cgpollino

I resealed my vapor barriers with GE Silicone II Black sealant, and all has been well so far. Just remove the old butyl tape from the foam barrier, and place a small continuous bead of sealant where the tape was.
    MGarrison likes this.