Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Warranty Question

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by zibbyzibs, Mar 14, 2008.

zibbyzibs guest

Hi everyone. I have about 5K or until September 2008 left on the factory warranty. I am the second owner. Does anyone have any suggestions about getting an extended warranty, if they are available or if they are even worth it. Thanks for any input.

johnh

BMW will sell you an extended warranty and most likely they'll benefit greatly from your money. Generally extended warranties are expensive to buy and do NOT pay off. Save whatever you would have spent on the extended warranty in case you do have big repairs ahead.

zibbyzibs guest

Thanks for the insight johnh

nweigen

Hi Zibby,

I also have a vehicle comming off warranty next month and face the same dilemma and this is what I am doing.
    I went over my 04 X-3 with a fine tooth comb, made a list and returned the vehicle to the dealer. all my concerns were addressed and repaired to my satisfaction.
    WarrantyDirect.com offered me a choice of extended warranty plans but I still have not decided to go with them.
    I may just take my chances, my rapport with my service writer is a very strong "5" and my dealer's service dept is second to none and I feel that they would stand behind me with any unusual suprises for at least another year.
    After that I think that the risk of spending $1800-$2500. within the next few years is something I may want to take.
    Any other ideas or suggestions would also be appreciated.
    Norm ..

zibbyzibs guest

Thanks Norm. I was planning on bringing my car in this summer to have a "once over" before the car comes out of warranty in September. Hopefully my service department will be as good as yours.