Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Very nice digital oil temp and oil pressure gauge installed.

Discussion in 'E32 (1988-1994)' started by bcweir, Jan 12, 2011.

bcweir

A friend of mine converted his E32 1994 740iL to a six-speed manual stickshift and installed a digital oil temperature and oil pressure gauge unit that outputs the readout to the center LCD in the cluster.

Take a look.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/851232/

Please note: despite the five-speed gearshift knob in the photo, his transmission is actually a six speed manual.

tiFreak

that's sick, if I didn't know better I'd think it was stock

bcweir

Yeah I love it too.

There's another guy who has a 1989 735 that he managed to turbocharge with a mix of custom, aftermarket, and E23 745i parts who can't wait to add this onto his.

The electronic board is adaptable to support nearly any type of temperature or pressure measurement (including boost), which means he won't need to hang any auxiliary gauges or pods elsewhere on the dash. This makes for an extremely clean, OEM style setup.

This particular application is primarily designed for E32's (2nd gen 7series) and E34's (3rd gen 5-series), but I think it could work with E31's (8 series) E36's (3rd gen 3-series) and related vehicles as well. Nothing on this board is proprietary and uses off the shelf parts to work.

It also has a practical application for E32 7-series in the regard that the M70 is very prone to oil leaks, primarily around the front timing cover gasket and the upper oil pan gasket. Low oil conditions can be very damaging to the M70, and the oil-level idiot light only comes on after a low oil level or pressure condition already exists. Being told of a low oil level or pressure condition BEFORE it becomes a problem could help an owner save their engine. Other applications are possible too. You could measure just about any temperature or pressure related reading you wanted using the factory cluster without having to hang additional gauges around your interior.

Like you said, very clean and very factory looking.

bcweir