Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

USB Drives

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by chretienrisley, Aug 8, 2010.

chretienrisley guest

Picked up my X5 35d on Friday...I want to add my music to the system. I formatted the USB drive in FAT(Windows) added my music. I then plugged the USB thumb drive into the USB slot in the glove compartment. Doesn't do anything. Doesn't show up. I did read the manual, I tried to find it to add the MP3's to the library. No dice. Does anyone know which brand and memory size USB drive works ?

floydarogers

I think that what you need to do is to store all your files there, and *add* a playlist file that references all the files. The playlist file can be created using Windows Media Player or something like that - it has a special name, etc.

I'm at the limit here - don't ask me more;)

bcweir

BMW does have owners manuals on their website

Also, you MIGHT possibly need to have certain options installed. As I don't know what options were ordered in your vehicle, I have no idea if your vehicle supports the functionality you are looking for.

I'd recommend consulting the owner's manual (either the printed one that came with the vehicle) or consulting the one that comes on the website.

Pyewacket1

Don't know about your particular model, but my 2010 328 uses the USB port in the glove box ONLY to add music to the internal disk drive, and has a separate USB connection in the console for playing music off of a USB drive. This info should be in your owner's manual. It starts on page 164 in my manual.

vinsk guest

I've 2011 X5 with premium sound package/ ipod kit and the glove box USB drive doesn't work. It doesn't recognize the USB drive. I'm not sure if its a standalone USB power port for charging and stuff. But the USB port inside the center console armrest works fine.

Pyewacket1

Unless you have a car equipped with iDrive (and the internal hard drive), the glove box USB connection WON'T work for you. That USB port is for uploading music to the internal drive and for backing up the music library.

Does anyone bother to read the manual that comes with a car anymore?

Pete540

Thats the way it is supposed to work USB in glove box to download to Hard Drive, USB in console can be accessed by IDrive. That is why you have to spend about $400. for the Ipod USB option

bcweir

Pyewacket1

I don't think the cable is what he needs. He said the iPod plays OK when using the center-console connection, which is the way its designed. So, no additional cable appears to be necessary. The glove box USB connection is ONLY for uploading music to the hard drive and backing up the music collection on the hard drive. In fact, one should be able to plug a simple USB jump drive into the center-console port and play music from it.... No iPod necessary.

Of course, maybe I'm missing something here.

vinsk guest

You are absolutely right! I didnt bother to read the full manual. The glove box USB port lets me import/Export music into the internal HDD. I can play music only through the center armrest USB port.