Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Upgrade for radio and replacement for driver information display

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by Touring525i4dawgs, Nov 26, 2017.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

Was wondering if there is a replacement radio/cd player for my E 39 to upgrade to bluetooth or aux input jack? Trying to keep the original look. Not looking for aftermarket replacement. Also my drivers side display is beginning to fail. Would it be better to have a professional do these replacements?

MGarrison

I think there are places that do repair for the bad-pixel display components, or sell replacements - Programa might be one? Not sure if there are others listing in Roundel classifieds. As far as swapping out, possibly - might or might not be possible to remove the instrument cluster without removing the airbag & steering wheel. Check Bavsound for what they have? Crutchfield might have something generic to allow alternative input - maybe! Swapping in a later-era radio w/ such features might be a bit of a tall order, the radios are ever-more integrated to the specific car & it's electronics with each new generation. That said, check any E39-specific forums, you certainly can't be the first person to want to do something different w/ an older stock radio!
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

Do you have the standard radio or navigation? Also do you mean the radio display or instrument cluster display is having issues?

My car has standard radio without nav. My dash display is also starting to loose pixels. I have looked at places like Crutchfield but it is all brand specific look. Was trying to preserve the look of my car but updated.
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

Thanks. Will check the video and resource

MGarrison