Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Unscrupulous Dealer "Trick"

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by MontyFortune, Dec 13, 2009.

MontyFortune guest

I am fortunate to own two 3 series automobiles. A 2007 335xi (E90) and a 2009 328 coupe (E92) with x-drive.

These cars were purchased from the same excellent salesman, but at two different dealerships, as the excellent and honest salesman moved to dealership "B".
    While out in my 335xi, I got yellow warning light that looked like a double A battery with a 'key" symbol horizontially through it. It looked to me a like a bad key battery.
    So I stopped at dealer "B", assuming incorrectly that since I DID NOT HAVE COMFORT ACCESS, that a simple battery replacement could be accomplished.

This was not the case, and the service advisor upon seeing the warning light said, "you will have to make an appointment and we can order a new key for you".
    Now, the nasty part.
    While seated in the drivers seat, he observed my NJ state inspection would expire in that very month, however in 2011. He said, "I see the date on your inspection sticker, and you will get a service alert for an inspection shortly. Let me adjust the service warning so it doesn't go off". He then changed the date on my car's calander using the stalk control to year 2011.

He left, and I used a back up key to start the car. I immediately got a red "brake service light" on the dash indicator. Since I had just had the scheduled brake fluid change, something looked awfully "fishy". If this was my wife driving her car, she would have dutifully brought in for service.! I changed the calender back to 2009, and the light went out.

IT SEEMS IF YOU CHANGE THE DATE, THE CARS COMPUTER WILL POST THE TIME SENSITIVE MAINTENANCE REQUEST BECAUSE IT THINKS THE TIME HAS PASSED, REGARDLESS OF THE MILEAGE.

Needless to say, I have since contacted dealer "A", and set up my wife's car for service at that location. Prestige BMW in Ramsey NJ. I have found this dealer to be honest, reliable and a pleasure to do business with. As far as dealer "B" in Tenafly NJ, they will not see me again.......ever.
    My replacement key was ordered under warranty and was just delivered.