Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Transports?

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2013' started by mattm, Feb 5, 2013.

mattm

Maybe a group coordination on a car carrier/trailer to get cars out west? Sadly it won't be cheap but less miles on the car. Yes, I'd love to drag the 1M out there.

gvcmel

Looked into the cost and it turned out to be cheaper to rent a track car at Leguna than ship anything from the east coast. Some of us have been discussing buying a nice used BMW in California, use it for the week and then drive it back across county. Add up about $3-4K for a nice E36, deduct the rental fee for a week, and the price tag matches the estimate of $4K to ship the car out and back. Besides, a nice rust free car will probably bring the purchase price back here on the east coast. Sill working the angles on that one.

mattm

The numbers sound correct. I seem to remember Intercity was about $1,500 cross country (one way) and there is some time lag to boot. It was a few years ago so that $1,500 maybe stale. Will Satch do the PPI for you? :)

MGarrison

Some of our locals were looking into it too, we were getting a price of $2500 round trip if we could fill a transporter at once, loading all cars at the same time and in the same place - that's from S.W. Ohio. East Coast, presumably more, that much further - so $3k round trip from out east might not be too far off the mark.
    • Staff

steven s

We had a company and have been waiting for return calls. Forgot the company name but they have terminals all over the country. Big thing is everyone needs to guarantee the delivery date. A day early is OK. A day late, not so much.
    • Staff

steven s

Interested in Shipping Your Car To Oktoberfest In Monterey?

Posted On Feb. 12, 2013

We have contacted Dependable Auto Shippers, Inc. (DAS), to help our members ship their cars to Monterey in time for Oktoberfest. In business since 1954, DAS is the largest privately-owned vehicle-transportation service in the country, and they provide satellite online tracking service 24/7 for your vehicle as it makes its journey to California.

DAS will either pick up your car at home, or they will transport it from one of their 90 terminals across the country. The shipping cost depends upon your delivery options and the transporting distance. Shipping costs include $50,000 worth of physical damage coverage.

You can also order expedited delivery service, if you want to ensure that your vehicle arrives on a specific day.

DAS are not shipping brokers, and they maintain control of your vehicle by shipping in one of their DAS autoshippers trucks, and they will make stops only at their DAS terminals for rest stops.

If you are interested, you may call DAS toll free at (866) 298-4221, or visit the website at www.dasautoshippers.com, and learn about their service.

The BMW CCA does not accept any responsibility or liability for shipping. We are providing this information only as a service to our members.

DAS Terminal Locations as of January 3, 2013

City State
    Birmingham AL
    Huntsville AL
    Springdale AR
    N. Little Rock AR
    Tucson AZ
    Phoenix AZ
    Redding CA
    Fresno CA
    San Diego CA
    Livermore CA
    Palm Springs CA
    Gardena CA
    Rancho Cordova CA
    Aurora CO
    Newington CT
    Tampa FL
    Jacksonville FL
    Port St. Lucie FL
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    Ft. Meyers FL
    Ocoee FL
    Tallahasse FL
    Pensacola FL
    Mableton GA
    Augusta GA
    Davenport IA
    Des Moines IA
    Kuna ID
    Pocatello ID
    Teutopolis IL
    Markham IL
    Indianapolis IN
    Haysville KS
    Henderson KY
    Louisville KY
    Bossier City LA
    Gretna LA
    Lafayette LA
    E. Walpole MA
    Pikesville MD
    Warren MI
    Breedsville MI
    Fridley MN
    Raytown MO
    Florissant MO
    Springfield MO
    Richland MS
    Great Falls MT
    Pineville NC
    Durham NC
    Fayetteville NC
    Greensboro NC
    Omaha NE
    Linden NJ
    Albuquerque NM
    Sparks NV
    Las Vegas NV
    Elma NY
    E. Syracuse NY
    Schenectady NY
    Toledo OH
    Cincinnatti OH
    Columbus OH
    Cleveland OH
    Tulsa OK
    Oklahoma City OK
    Medford OR
    Troutdale OR
    Bristol PA
    Grantville PA
    West Mifflin PA
    W. Columbia SC
    Simpsonville SC
    Charleston SC
    Sioux Falls SD
    Rapid City SD
    Nashville TN
    Powell TN
    Chattanooga TN
    Memphis TN
    Austin TX
    Silsbee TX
    Amarillo TX
    Odessa TX
    Houston TX
    Converse TX
    Anthony TX
    Mesquite TX
    Sandy UT
    Ashland VA
    Manassas VA
    Salem VA
    Lakewood WA
    Spokane WA
    Kennewick WA
    New Berlin WI
    Charleston WV

m5er

Here's what I got from the DSA group.
    The DSA shipper that BMWCCA sent us info about wants $880 from Atlanta one way. That's not door to door.
    Car is taken to the local distribution center and picked up at their center in Livermoor CA. 100 miles from Monterey. To much for me when you consider the cost to get there and the expenses of Ofest.

ralphwarren

Now that there is no club race, my cars are avail for rent. They are probably not much more than transporting.

Car 1 is a 2008 BMW 135i. It weighs 3100 lbs with 385 hp and 400 ft/lbs of torque. The car uses 17x9 wheels with 255-40-17 R-Compound tires. This car has been prepared to the H-Sport rules in Club Racing and has 2 seats with matching harnesses. This car should be familiar to those of you who have watched any of the O’fest club races at Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Road America, Barber or Mid-Ohio. The cost of the 135i is $950 per day.

Pics of the 135i are here…
    http://tinyurl.com/aoown64

Car 2 is a 2008 BMW M3. It weighs 3300 lbs with 445 hp and 380 ft/lbs of torque. The car uses 18x10.5 wheels with 275-35-18 R-Compound tires. This car has been prepared to the G-Prepared rules in Club Racing (full aero, big brakes) and has a single driver seat only. This car would be for an instructor or a student that has been signed off (i.e. no passenger). The cost of the E90 M3 is $1250 per day.

Pics of the E90 M3 are here…
    http://tinyurl.com/ahcd3r9

Here are a few hot laps of the E90 M3 at Laguna Seca…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uodEk64SHQI

Here are a few laps of it in challenging conditions at Mid-Ohio…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igzCHfBzgro

Both cars are guaranteed to pass the strict 92db sound limit at Laguna Seca. They are both easy to drive and would have a comfortable feel to anyone familiar with driving BMWs. Both cars are gutted but still retain most factory comfort and ergonomics features (lights, wipers, adjustable seat, adjustable steering wheel, heater box, etc).

Both cars will be delivered to Laguna Seca and are available for any of the 4 driver school days. Cost of the rental includes track support, use of our aluminum stacker trailer and 15'x40' canopy.

If you are interested in more information about renting either of these cars, reach out to me at ralph.warren "at" cox.net

Thank You,
    -Ralph Warren

bsutton

The Allegheny Chapter has a transporter lined up for O'fest. It will arrive at LS Tues Aug 13 and depart Sun Aug 25. It will be going from Harrisburg Pa. Stopping in Pittsburgh, Pa. We had a cancellation this morning so we have room for one car. The cost is $3300 round trip. Anyone interested can email me for more details. bsutton135i@comcast.net
    • Staff

steven s

Currently we do not have access to the track anytime on Tuesday.

332 Rustbucket

bsutton - Just shot you an email. Please give me a call to discuss. Thanks!