Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

TP message

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by wdfifteen, Oct 2, 2009.

wdfifteen guest

I'm on the road with my 2008 535xi. Got a message that the RF tire was low. I've corrected the problem, but can't cancel the warning message. I don't have my owner's manual with me. How do I reset it?
    I have to say, I hate this car more than any vehicle I've ever owned. I bought it because I was enthralled with the way the drive train works. Great power, transmission shifts crisp and sure, good brakes - it's like a sports car that's big and comfy for long trips (which I do a lot). I thought I would get used to the idiotic controls, but it's been a year and I haven't. It is so frustrating to be driving a car that is so capable and have to divide my attention between driving it and screwing around with the idiotic controls they saddled it with. The car is a real tragedy. It would be a fantastic car if they gutted the interior and let to the folks at Mercedes redesign the interior and controls.

eam3

Vehicle must be in Park. Using iDrive go to the Tires section, select "Reset TPM". The screen will read "Resetting" for a few seconds. Just start driving and it will clear out.

And I understand your frustration. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how BMW found a way to screw up the HVAC controls in this car to such extremes. My car is black on black and I live in Florida. Do the math, sometimes you get in the car, hit the Max AC button to start cooling the car down and out of the blue, the car decides that it's cool enough (it's not, it's only been on Max AC for like 10 seconds) and automatically turns the fan speed down to 1. I've never had a car that did that, even the most rudimentary cars I've owned let you set the AC to max and it stays there!

I would love to have Audi redesign the interior of the 5, maybe then form will follow function.

wdfifteen guest

Thanks!
    This is a company car and I am one of four potential drivers. After one drive, none of the other three want to ever use it again. They prefer the Toyota! I own the company, so I get stuck with the BMW. I gave up on the HVAC controls a long time ago. If you follow the warnings at start-up, you need to pull over to the side of the road to safely change the air flow from the HVAC. It's absurd. In our Toyota you just move a couple of buttons on the dash. Since day one the biggest problem I've had has been the gear selector. Every automatic transmission car I've ever driven the park position was farthest from the driver. With this BMW that's where reverse is and Park is a separate button. I don't know how many times I've been busy or had something else on my mind besides how to control this stupid car, stopped and pushed the lever away from me, only to have the car start backing up when I took my foot off the brake. It's counter intuitive and dangerous. Why does BMW need a lever and two buttons to control the transmission when everyone else has a simple lever? There isn't much about the interior of this car that I like. BUT, when you step on the gas - Ohhh Booyyy! If it had decent tires it would probably handle pretty good too.
    PWE