Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Top Motor Replaced on Wife--Z4 3.0si

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by Zdaneman, Aug 1, 2012.

Zdaneman

All,

Many thanks to ShipKiller for his fine instructions on top removal and motor replacement on the wife's Z4. It took about 5 hours counting time for the water proof job on the motor housing. A friend of mine (former FBI agent / so anyone can do this) assisted in this job.

This task looks much tougher, really simple. However, some of the clips and mountings are a PITA to get to on the car. Highly recommend tapping several layers of paint tape (Blue) or (Green/Frog) on the paint surface around the edge of the top....or you will end up with scratches even if you're very, very careful.

Also, another hot tip...tape down the locking bars on the front of the top so they don't hit the plastic on the Driver / Passanger roll bar covers, they are very easy to scratch. (Don't ask me how I know this now!!!)

All in all, pretty happy with my results and much cheaper than the 3.5 K I was quoted here in the National Capital Region (Washington, D.C.) to repair the problem by the STEALERSHIP!!!

Zdaneman sends

I'll post a few pics later.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Love the headline. My wife didn't come with a top motor...

Pyewacket1

Love the headline. My wife didn't come with a top motor...

Neither did mine, but she did come with several other options...

MGarrison

Sooooo tempting... but nope, ain't gonna go there.... :p

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Wuss.

Zdaneman

Well, it was a Convertible Top Motor. We have discussed making other MODs just not on the car....current equipment however is pretty nice!!! I went there!

Zdaneman sends