Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

time for a new...

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by bayarea1, Dec 8, 2015.

bayarea1

Bought a M3 4 door manual new in 1997 and finally ready to move on? What's the closest new BMW to that? M235i? What would you get if you basically want a new '97 M3? M3? 340i? M235i? M2? Don't track, short commute but love acceleration and handling.

MGarrison

Well, the current M3 is the 4dr version, if you want to stick to 4 doors. Much different car from E36 though, so many things have advanced. If you want something smaller-sized, then you have to look at a 2-series, but, that's 2-dr only. The current 3-series is similarly-dimensioned to the old E34 (more-or-less). M2 will surely be fun to drive. Definitely test drive anything you're considering to ensure ride-quality, etc. is what you want. People seem to be favorably impressed by the turbo 4-cyl. Test drive 'em all, if you're open to that variety of BMW's offerings. Good luck with the search!
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

I would say personally get a sport packaged 335i there are riot and handle decent and are easy on the wallet compared to the M2 and the M235. But personally I enjoy fast 4 doors :)