Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Thule Racks

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by TeamStowell, Apr 15, 2010.

TeamStowell We love driving!

A member asked me if it was worth getting the Aero bars vs. the old standard square bars... seems they are a bit too loud for him and he wants to know if there is a significent change between the two. Does anyone have input I can share? I have always been a square.....

granthr

+1 for square! :D I really don't know though. The traditional ones are tried and true and less expensive. I am sure the profit margins in the Aero bars are greater, so you are really paying for the marketing.

Besides once you get skis/bikes/boats/deer/whathaveyou up there it doesn't matter what kind of bars you have, it is going to be noisy!!!! I don't run around with my bars on if I am not using them. They are on and off so quickly that I only put them on the car if I am actually using them. I love seeing cars in the summer with ski racks on (remember this the east where there is NO skiing after April). How lazy can one be!!! (Okay don't answer that) :)

TeamStowell We love driving!

granthr

Yes deer on the hood is the classic location for such transport. But the new way is really on one of those hitch racks. :D

I am sure you got some looks with so much big stuff on the roof. In an old roundel I have from the early 80s there is a picture of a Bavaria with Thule's new racking system. It shows the car with canoe, road bike, and skis. Pretty cool ad. :) Not sure why they had both skis and the bike since it is a rare occurrence that a person does both on the same trip. I guess there were just showing everything you can put up there.