Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

The Zaino-Meguiar's Wax-off

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Satch, Jul 20, 2010.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Dudes: Somehow I stumbled across what looks like a pretty insightful website by Greg Heumann. It's been up for a long time, evidently, but it's new to me. Anyway, this fellow is a Porsche guy, which rather implies an anal-retentive nature, don't you think? So I was interested in taking advantage of his work.

You can get to his page here.

lkchris

Anal-retentive is the correct call.

Dealing with "scratches usually not visible?"

I'm surprised the antecedent "nano" wasn't used.

This guy might make a great motorcyclist as so often there's more wrenching for fun than there is actual riding.

Of course telling a woman the makeup really isn't necessary doesn't impress too often, either. Although I think that's not a hobby. Or is a Porsche in the garage closer to that than I know?

A fun read--thanks for posting.

ForcedInduction guest

Black cars show swirls really badly at the right angle so it might look good to most people until you look at an angle.

I've never used Zaino products but I am very much into objective analysis of products. It is frustrating when neither of these product lines achieved the desired results however.

I had a friend with a black 911 with the same issues. He spent a week hand polishing the swirls out after I showed him how with normal Meguiar's products and a final step of black ebony swirl remover (by hand), that body shops apply by machine. After that he waxed it and it looked every bit as good as new - maybe better!

He was pretty anal about the car finish and washing. Despite my admonishment he would was the car from top to bottom with no soap, just clean water. Believe it or not this did not appear to cause scratches or swirls on his car. The swirls that were in his paint were there from a prior owner. Whatever works is good I guess. I just can't wash a car without car soap... :(

CSBM5

Doesn't surprise me at all. I've got numerous Zaino products, and they work just as well or better or worse than other quality products imo. For the most part though they do smell great, especially the quick detail spray -- I'm surprised they've not had little kids drinking that stuff.

I've found more interesting products from Optimum Car Care like their Poli-Seal and No Rinse products. Using ONR on a dirty car will scare the best of the "Zymol crowd", but damn it works great when you can't use any local water due to restrictions and such (or when it is 20F outside the garage).

Zeichen311

Exactly. Learn good detailing skills, buy decent products and don't obsess over which is "best" unless you enjoy the debate for its own sake. :)

bluewagon

Swirl Marks

What causes swirl marks???
    Did the new Car you just purchased have swirl marks???
    I say washing your car causes most of the swirl marks. So if you don't want swirl marks you have to polish your car after every time you wash. Or DON'T WASH. But how do I keep my car looking like new??????? Try http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/.
    It works for me. My car has not been washed since Early March of 09 It is looking better after each use.
    bluewagon

rspeser

I have found that by washing the car with a microfiber mitt and then drying it with an Air Force Blaster almost all of my swirl marks are gone. Of course the car gets clayed and waxed twice a year with Klasse, keeps it looking great. Now if there was only a way to prevent brake dust!

ForcedInduction guest

Anything that touches the paint surface can cause light abrasion, i.e. swirls. You can eliminate brake dust by not driving your car. ;)

bluewagon

Brake (Dust)

Wet paint when applied on your wheels, both inside and outside, brake dust can be wiped off with a Swiffer (DUSTER)http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/
    bluewagon

az3579

You never fail to mention this product; you're starting to sound like a roaming advertisement!

GSMetal

This was really a well thought out experiment. I would like to see more side-by-side comparrisons.

I've been a fan of Mequires for a number of years and think they have a great product at a reasonable price. I'm a BIG fan of the liquid NXT 2.0 wax and have had people on the street stop and ask me what I use on my car.

330indy1

at 46 years with the associated experience I will add....

After many many years of detailing my own cars with the many lessons and mistakes, this is what I know and practice:
    The only way to get free of swirl is to get an orbital polisher (Griot's= lifetime warranty), apply various grades of machine polishes in steps (Griot's or pick another brand) and then seal it with wax like Zymol or any good carnauba, or a polymer seal if you prefer. Stay away from cotton to wash, polish or buff anything -- only use clean/new foam and micro-fiber.
    To keep it swirl free, when it comes to washing and drying, go touch free as much as possible.
    By far the most critical step is the very first: use a high pressure washer to get the grit and dirt off, going over every inch, because you can't see the grains of sand waiting for your hand wash.
    I have many car-freak friends. Truthfully, when they look at the paint of my 2001, 2002, and 2006 vehicles, they ponder which car has 113k vs 5k miles.

rbindc

Interesting - and confusing. Your comment directly contradicts what is on the Zaino website!

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=TOWELS&Store_Code=Z

How is a newcomer to decide what to believe?

ForcedInduction guest

Improper use of a high pressure hose to remove debris from the car finish can result in a finish that is sand blasted. Never point the hose perpendicular to the panel surface. A water hose should be used to slide the debris from the surface not blast it into the surface, which will act like sand blasting.

Corrected typo. ;)

rbindc

Opps! I didn't quote the right passages. I was referring to the comment about avoiding cotton towels, which is directly opposite to the advice of Zaino on their website.

Forced Induction: Regarding power washing, don't you mean to avoid pointing the hose perpendicular to the panel surface (not tangental)? Pointing it tangentally would tend to flush off the dirt, rather than drive it deeper into the clear coat.

Also, does "power washing" mean using one of those high-pressure machines or just a garden hose with the nozzle set to "stream" mode?

ForcedInduction guest

Yes I did mean perpendicular so I corrected it. Thanks. ;)

Power washing normally means high pressure and that is what can sand blast the finish. The lowest pressure you can use to slide the debris off the paint is best.

As far as cotton or MF towels are concerned most sources say cotton diapers or terry cloth towels are fine and I know people who use them without issues so pick your poison. As I indicated in a post above - anything that touches the paint can cause swirls. Many times this occurs from inexperience, even with the proper materials.