Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tappet Noise

Discussion in 'E36/8 Z3 M coupe (1998-2003)' started by Stevewill1959, May 6, 2010.

Stevewill1959 guest

I have a condition with my 2000 M Roadster (S52) of lifter/tappet ticking. It doesn't do it everytime I start the engine. It may or may nor tick when cold started and not do so after the engine is warm. Or, it may tick for a few warm starts. You never know when it will do so. The tick goes away as the engine warms. I changed the oil and use synthetic. I also use S-100 fuel additive. I'd appreciate any advice.

bcweir

I recommend having a BMW service professional look at this.

Your car is right at ten years old, and without a doubt, it likely has some wear and tear on its valvetrain. You could have a bad or worn valve tappet, or there may be another issue affecting it directly.

On the M30 and M70 engines (yes I know you have a different engine but bear with me here), there is an issue where the oil distribution tube that sits on top of the head can work itself loose. Not only can this cause the rattling noise your describe, but over time, it can cause excessive wear on the camshaft since the valvetrain is no longer getting oil where its supposed to. The oil distribution tube is mounted on top of the M30/M70 head using bolts that can come loose. Not sure if the S50/S52 engines have a similar issue, but I describe this as an example of how a supposedly unrelated issue can make it seem like you have a bad hydraulic tappet.

You can go to http://www.bimrs.org to have this looked at by a competent, independent BMW service professional.