Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Sway Bar

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO, Jul 24, 2008.

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

How important is the sway bar? And how do you know when it's time for a new one? As most of you may know...I don't have the sports package..so is replacement of the sway bar that important. And what about the bar that goes over the engine? The dealership is replacing the sway bar for me this weekend. Should I get the stock and should I upgrade? Thanks for your input.

-The Man with a Hundred Questions.

Bimmerdan

I've never heard of a sway bar wearing out and needing replacement before? The end links can definitely wear out but those are seperate to the bar itself (unless there is something unique to this model?).

What prompted you to have it replaced?

H8Rain guest

My first question is.... why is the dealer replacing the sway bar and which one, front or back. Very very unusual for a sway bar to break? Maybe a link or bushing needs replacing?

Upgraded sway bars (thicker than stock) will help reduce body roll. Unless you track you car or are an aggressive street driver (like to take off-ramps faster than normal). Then you may want to consider upgraded sway bars. The rear bar is very easy to change, however the front will be a major PITA or expense if you are paying someone.

My first choice for sway bars would be Dinan. Second choice would be Eibach.

I would forget the strut brace (or as you called it.... the bar that goes over the engine). Very minimal gains there. If you start with the sway bars, then next upgrade springs/shocks only then would I consider the strut braces just for a finishing touch.

Sorry, I meant sway bar links. They are replacing my links because my car was shaking while driving at high speeds on the highway. The steering wheel wasn't shaking...just the car. They are going to balance my wheels, and the said my sway bar links need replacing because they are worn out. What kind of difference will I see with new sway bar links? Thanks for the response.

H8Rain guest

I have never heard of a car "shaking" because of bad or broken sway bar links? That sounds more like a wheel issue (balance, alignment or bearing).

A fellow CT VALLEY member. Thanks for the input. Yeah, they are going to balance the wheels. Maybe I should have them rotated as well? When they were checking out the suspension, they said they heard a metal banging noise when going over bumps. They cheked it out and said that the sway bar links need replacing. Does that sound right? They gave me a loaner, 2008 x3, so I'm in no rush to get it back. Took a little trip out to Boston with it, nce ride and nice power.

MGarrison

Sure - swar bar links w/ shot or gone bushings could easily make some noise. Not sure how integral the swaybar is to your front suspension - on some older BMW's unhooking swaybars would just mean the car's going to lean more in turns. If it's somehow integral to the rest of the steering/front suspension, it's possible it could contribute to a shimmy, but shimmy/shake more likely is due to some other issue.

H8Rain guest

Yep, that makes perfect sense.