Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Supercharger or Turbocharger

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Casseus330iZHP, Jun 15, 2008.

Casseus330iZHP guest

Whats the Pro's and Con's?? So far i know superchargers puts constant strain on engine...but other than that clueless as far as which IS better for my str8 inline6 3.0L?

Kent Bullis guest

You will get replies from people far more knowledgeable than I, but just to get you started:

I believe that in the past, superchargers had the advantage of being a little more straightforward to install (no need to tap into the exhaust) and a very quick response to the throttle, whereas turbochargers had the advantage of better gas mileage. Some of the early mass production turbo's (one thinks of mid-80's Chrysler products) you would step on the gas and about 3-5 seconds later the car would begin to accelerate, but if you weren't actually pushing it hard you really had no impact on the gas mileage, whereas a supercharger would cause your gas mileage to deteriorate just by virtue of sitting there.

Modern engineering has dramatically improved the lag time associated with turbos. I haven't driven a modern turbo, but when you read the reviews on, for instance, the 335i, they talk about almost imperceptible throttle lag time.

I hope this gets you started!

Kent Bullis guest

I should note that you'll see some differences in the power curve between the 2 as well. That is to say, a supercharger is more prone to give you additional power starting at idle speed, whereas a turbo tends to provide minimal power boost at idle speeds, and then pick up substantially as RPM increases. Again, I suspect they have improved, but not entirely eliminated this with modern turbos. If you have a manual and you rev it up and dump the clutch, then you probably don't care. If you have an automatic and you are doing a standing start, I think you'll get a quicker take-off with a supercharger.