Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Sunroof/Moonroof shield off track

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Manjestic, Mar 17, 2009.

Manjestic

2001 325i

I pushed back my moonroof sun shield one day and the thing apparently fell off its track or broke. Not sure what the diagnosis is or what the remedy is. DIY?

Common problem?

Thanks.

pineypl

Yes it is a DIY. I did mine and it is easy although it looks at times tough. The big problem is working in a small area and getting things lined up properly.

Most likely you broke the black plastic springy guides. They are cheap and easy to replace.

Here is a link to a great write up and images of the fix.

http://www.lincomatic.com/e46sunroof/e46sunroof.html

I did not have to adjust the motor like step 6 in that write up. You may not have to either. Just go slow and take your time. The parts are cheap plastic and readily broken, so don't force them! ;-)

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Bob Collins
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

pineypl

Yes it is a DIY. I did mine and it is easy although it looks at times tough. The big problem is working in a small area and getting things lined up properly. Yes it is fairly common.

Most likely you broke the black plastic springy guides. They are cheap and easy to replace. I actually got lucky, Iam the second owner of this Bimmer, the sunroof had been repaired before, and there were three extra sliders in the sunroof area! They were not broken, just knocked off the mounts.

Here is a link to a great write up and images of the fix.

http://www.lincomatic.com/e46sunroof/e46sunroof.html

I did not have to adjust the motor like step 6 in that write up. You may not have to either. Just go slow and take your time. The parts are cheap plastic and readily broken, so don't force them! ;-)

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Bob Collins
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL