Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Stinky smell after turning AC off

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by patpwu, Jul 1, 2009.

patpwu guest

I've read a lot of posts on musty odor after you turn the AC on. I have a 2006 530xit and it stinks after I turn the AC off. That's the case for my 1999 323is as well.

Does anyone experience this?

Thanks,
    Pat

John in VA

Almost everyone with a BMW made after 1990 experiences this. You can minimize the growth of mold or mildew by turning off the A/C several minutes before shutting off the car, but keeping the fan running to to dry out the ducts.
    You can also use BG Frigi-fresh or Frigi-clean, Einszett Klima-Cleaner or Lysol shot into the air intake & ductwork to reduce/remove the smell.

M3Driver guest

Yep; John is correct. Also keep those microfilters changed too. I change mine once a year regardless.

granthr

+2 Blow out the ducts with the A/C off at the end of every use/trip. Also make sure you have the recirculate button off, so you are getting fresh air into the system and not from the car. This way when you shut the car down there is an opening to the outside to allow for further drying and fresh air to enter.

patpwu guest

Thanks for the reply everyone!