Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Sticky rear door lock

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by vtx, Oct 1, 2009.

vtx guest

Symptoms: when opening the doors (whether with remote or central locking buttons) the door lock opens, but the button doesn't go all the way to the top (the distinct "click on open" is missing). Upon attempt to lock the door, the button stays up, the lock doesn't engage, but alarm system arms. Open the door, alarm blares.

So far, I've always managed to get the door locked by cycling the locks open/close a few times (until I hear "click on open"), but that's not normal.

I'm wondering if this is the actuator going bad (like here: http://bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4341), or is there a chance that the black sticky goo finally got the the button rod after all these years (this happened on one of my previous cars, all it took was just thorough cleaning)?

Calypso Diver guest

Sticky Locks

My '98 540i/6 speed Sport does the same, rear door, driver's side. I believe it's a mechanical problem with the grease they put on the mechanical parts. The button is slow completing the cycle. Yet, like you, I find if I actuate it up/down several times, the action gets smoother, and faster.

Try cleaning off old lubricant and applying 100% silicon grease (get it from a SCUBA Dive Shop) It has to be edible to know for sure it's pure silicon grease and not a hydrocarbon enhanced product. True silicon grease never dries up. So it will always be the same grease, regardless of ambient temp.