Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Steering wheel lights went out, control switches work. (N.Star Club, MN)

Discussion in 'E53 X5 (2000-2006)' started by daway, Aug 13, 2009.

daway guest

Hi All,

I have a 2001 x5 3.0i, Pro date 9/00, non-sport steering wheel.

In Nov of 2008 my steering wheel lights went out one day and then turned back on a couple of day later. I have not had any issues since. On Tues (8.11.09) night i was driving and when i turned the head lights on the steering wheel lights did not come. All the controls on the steering wheel work for the radio and C. control (both sides. I have the bentley work shop manual and spent some time (hours...lol...wife thinks i'm nuts) looking for info on the LED lights on the steering wheel but no info. I have read other thread were members have had the switches not work but have not read anything about the light only not working w/ switches working.

Fuses 2 and 9 are in good shape and no other lights are out (brakes lights and other lights work perfect).

Does the lights (LED) have their own connections or do they work with the same wire connections as the steering wheel switches (in pic below # 10, part number 61316902141).

I just do not no what to do on this one. Switches work perfect.

Any help would be great!

Here is a picture of the steering wheel and a link to the parts.

Aaron from MN

If anyone is in MN and needs a hand working on their bimmer let me know. I am new to the bimmers (had it for over a yr now and love it!) and would like to learn more on my x5 and etc. I work on my Range Rover Classic and part them out too.