Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Starting Issue

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by jbmcohen, Jul 20, 2011.

jbmcohen

Hello -

I recently bought an "88 325i and a starting issue is developing. When the car sits for a few days (2-3), it takes a long time to start, I had a new battery installed a few weeks ago when it died, so I'm good there.

Once the car gets started, it's fine and I can restart it quickly. Can it be the fuel pump?

Thanks.

MGarrison

Sounds like a possibility -

Sounds like a possibility - pretty sure your car has two. There's an in-tank pre-pump that pressurizes fuel to the main pump, and the main pump is above the fuel filter (driver's side lower sill, forward of the left-rear wheel). Unless some prior owner has nevr-siezed the nuts and threads on the fuel filter and pump mounting, be prepared for those nuts to be rusty and difficult to break free. You may find yourself with the joyful task of trying to hold the edge of the thin plate the rubber bushing is mounted to (that has the protruding threaded stud) with pliers, channel-locks, or vice-grips, so you can break the nut free. Replacement bushings and nuts aren't very expensive, might not be a bad idea to have them in hand if you have to replace the outboard fuel pump, or fuel filter (filters are supposed to be changed every 12 months, anyway).

If you don't have one already and plan to work on your car, the E30 Bentley manual is very useful to have. There may be a check valve in the system someplace, and given the age, might not be a bad idea to test the fuel pressure regulator. Bentley manual details various tests and components as well.

granthr

MGarrison gives you good

MGarrison gives you good points here. Be sure your fuel tank is half full or less. Otherwise you will have fuel spilling out when you remove the in tank fuel pump. I would first look for a faulty check valve. It will be cheaper to replace.

The other thing is you could just throw a check valve in the fuel line somewhere near the tank. You can get one from BMW that was a retro fit for the E32 7 series. This might be the easiest and cheapest fix, but you don't really find out was is truely wrong.

jbmcohen

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the tips.

jbmcohen

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.