Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

SRS Recall Fix and Failed again

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by rmallo, Feb 16, 2014.

rmallo

Thanks for taking the time to read through this long post. I'm the original owner of a 2006 530i. And I received the recall notice from BMW to have the passenger seat mat addressed; SRS. I had the repair completed in Jun 2009 by the local BMW dealer. Since then I have put 34k miles on the car, and probably only 10k of that with a passenger. The failure came back in 2011, I went back to dealer to see about having this repaired again under the recall since BMW said that would honor a warranty for 10 years no matter the miles. Dealership said no deal if I wanted it fixed bring the big checkbook $$$$$$$. Or they could just rest the alarm, and not to worry no harm would come to the passenger; the restraint system would work. At the time I was traveling and didn't have time to deal with waiting on a repair nor did I feel it was right to pay for what is still an obvious flaw. The reset worked up until about 6 months ago, and really no passengers have been in the car. Anyway I went back to the dealer and again they said $$$$$ or no repair. I didn't have them repair or reset it. until I was able to obtain some feedback from my fellow club members. Has any of you had a similar situation and how was it addressed, and what did it cost.... is there anyone else in BMW I can raise this issue up to? Many thanks in advance and best regards!
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

What is there reasoning for saying you need to pay? That seat mat like you said is under the extended warranty from BMW if it fails they should replace it at no cost to you. But of course there are certain things that won't let the mat be covered such as water damage (so soda would be included in that), burn holes, seat heater malfunctions.

rmallo

Hi Charlson thank you for the response. All the dealership says is that they honored the recall notice, and my car is out of warranty. My argument was the recall says they will cover this for 10 years, they say as long as you have it fixed within 10 years it wont cost you. That's not how the recall notice reads. There is no damage to the seat of any kind. Looks like I need to get hold of the BMW District manager to get this resolved.

charlson89

Well there is a SIB 657506 stating that there is a 10 year warranty on the seat mat and also it should say on something the dealer can print called a DCS report on the vehicle. They are correct that it has nothing to do with the recall this a warranty extension on that part only so seperate from the recall. Yes you could call BMW on this as well.

rmallo

Thank you again for you detailed response. I called the dealership manager (he is new) yesterday and setup an appointment for this Thursday. They will look at it again and determine root cause. Would you happen to know if there is a certain code they would see if the seat mat was bad? I will let you know how it goes.

charlson89

No sorry off the top of my head I can't remember but the test plan they go through should give a diag code to have it replaced. Thanks do keep me posted.

rmallo

Charlson... The BMW dealership finally stood behind the warranty and replaced the defective seat mat; for the second time. I leveraged the insight you provide above so thank you very much. Once again a Happy BMW owner !
    Ken.S.330 likes this.

charlson89

Glad to hear that.