Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Squeak that Won't Quit

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by IBAFIB, Jun 27, 2008.

IBAFIB guest

I have an E39 that recently developed a squeak that seems related to the suspension of the vehicle. Squeak happens when driving on road with small to large bumps & when pushing down on the right rear bumper.
    I have removed rear wheel and sprayed anyhing that looked like a likely culprit (all rubber bushings body mounting points and springs/ shocks. WD-40 did not help, nor did oil. I did get some temporary relief from spray silicone but that lasted less than a week. And of course when I applied the silicone I sprayed all of the points mentioned above.

Anyone ever diagnose this problem and/or can provide a more permanent solution???

dmason2002

sounds like one of the right upper control arms. you can make a pinhole in the balljoint boot and stick the straw from a wd40 can through,spray a little in, do one at a time and drive over bumps to work the suspension, when the noise goes away, you will know which arm needs changing. sometimes they are dried out and the luing is a fix, others are worn out and the noise will return quickly. You should check for play in both arms and the balljoint in the lower arm while you're back there.

IBAFIB guest

Thanks much for the info, this will be my weekend project.