Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Source of Burning Smell through 330ci ventilation?

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by bclarkeva, Feb 10, 2009.

bclarkeva guest

Problem: intermittently, I am getting the smell - er, stench - of burning wire insulation through the ventilation system. If I shut the system down, the odor does not enter the cabin. This is not an oil-dripping-on-the-hot-manifold smell; I know that one. I've encountered it a couple of times pulling into the garage, so I throw the hood up and sniff around the engine compartment but cannot pinpoint it. It may be coming from the passenger side firewall area but I cannot swear to it.

Given that about 3 weeks before the problem began I had the resistor in the ventilation system replaced by my dealer, I thought that might be the culprit (defective or something) but my dealer says absolutely not and they have no idea what might be the issue (i.e. nothing that might be a known issue causing the stink). They would, however, look for some burnt insulation under my dash and hood for a mere $130 per hour diagnostic charge.

Anyone have any ideas what the source may be of this odor?

Thanks very much,

Bob C