Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

sometimes I have no high beams

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by bransan, Nov 22, 2012.

bransan Master troubleshooter

Once in a while the turn signals will not stay on when pushed past the lane change position, and I've noticed now that the high beams will not come on either. Has anyone experienced this and rectified the issue? It has happened a couple times and I can find no correlation to anything else. Most of the time they work fine but it has happened twice this week and now I want to find out why.

A couple times over the last several months I've noticed the turn signals won't stay on, and the high beams won't come on. Must be related because when I notice it the other won't work either.
    I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and fixed it. I will get to the bottom of it but was looking for some info in the mean time.

MGarrison

car/model? production year & month? Have you checked fuses & relays?
    • Staff

steven s

moved/merged

2007 525xi. Hasn't happened now for a couple days. The next time it happens I'll be checking for a relay issue. Seems like it may be a multi-function switch problem. Just a guess but but when 2 different things are controlled by one device, I would lean toward the controlling device. By the way I am a master electrician and fixing things is what I do. I was thinking someone else may have experienced a similar problem.

charlson89

Yah I have ran into this before, on that particular car it was the turn/ high beam switch going bad but there are other things in the vehicle that could control this. The SLZ module (steering column module) could have bad connection or is going bad. This module is where all the levers on the steering column bolt to and where the steering angle sensor is. Also has the clock spring attached to it. The other is the lamp module that controls all exterior lights for the vehicle. Of course there is the wiring could be an issue but unlikely I would start like you said with something that controls both items like the switch itself. But this of course is diag done over the internet and could be complete off. Good luck with it though let us know what you find out.