Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Some newbie questions about autocross and track school events; what to bring etc.

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2013' started by Tangent, Jul 17, 2013.

Tangent

So I'm registered for the car control clinic, autocross, and driving school and want to make sure I bring what I need to bring, and leave behind what I need to leave behind... :-P

This is gonna be my first autocross, and first track driving school since I went to one at Buttonwillow about 15 years ago. I know I should remove all loose items from my car, but will there be a good place to leave tools, drinks, etc at those events? Should I bring a folding chair and an EZ-Up for between runs/helping with cones/time on track? Pretty much all I know at this point is I should bring sunscreen, a hat, and a torque wrench.

I don't want to end up leaving everything in a random pile somewhere while everyone else has arrived ready to drive and nothing else with them. I've been wanting to start autocrossing for a while, but Oktoberfest being close this year finally gave me the push to buy a helmet and jump in. I'd just prefer to not look quite as lost and clueless as I might feel this first time out. :-P

MGarrison

A chair maybe; if you're driving just your car to O'Fest, an Ez-up is going to gobble up a lot of space and be more hassle than it's worth IMO, but if that's your preference, go for it. There should be plenty of track junkies on hand to borrow anything if needed, at least at the track. Courseworkers at auto-x will probably not be sitting, the organizers usually want you on your feet for running cones or other duties, and able to get out of the way if necessary. I'm sure the last thing they want is to be hearing "Hey, Look! Bob flew REALLY far this time! Boy, that's gotta hurt - you'd think he wouldn't keep sitting in the same spot."

You'll want a tire gauge, and a tarp to cover items out of the car in case of rain (or parking on non-paved areas), and perhaps a small rubbermaid bin to stow items from the car and keep them dry. Perhaps a small cooler to keep drinks cold - the track may have someplace selling stuff to drink, I don't know for sure.

Tangent

Haha, yeah, I wasn't planning on kicking back while watching for cones, I meant between those activities. :-P A tote sounds like a perfect idea to keep a few essentials though. :)