Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

So... What's your top fav. car movies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MGarrison, Mar 24, 2009.

MGarrison

Let's see... not that I can prioritize these particularly, but -

Ronin
    The Bourne Identity series
    The Italian Job
    The Blues Brothers
    the original Gone in 60 Seconds (the remake is perfectly fine also)
    Goldfinger
    Die Another Day (and other select Bond chase/stunt scenes)

Rendezvous is it's own brand of cult classic, but that would qualify as a short vs. whole movie.

that's what comes to mind for the moment...

Anyone?

M3Driver guest

1. "Two Lane Blacktop" (no surprise here I guess) :D
    2. The ORIGINAL "Vanishing Point"
    3. "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry"
    4. "Bullitt"
    5. "The Last Run" with George C. Scott

drummerfc

_OH_ _MY_ _GOD_ :eek: !! Thought I was the only one who saw/remembered this movie...

M3Driver guest

Yep...just showed my age. Actually have it on DVD too.. :D

drummerfc

LOL! Classic 70's flick!

ChrisV

to add to the already mentioned collection...

Gumball Rally
    The Wraith
    Transporter 1 (naturally...)
    Le Mans
    American Graffiti
    Mad Max
    Cannonball Run
    Death Race 2000 (the original)
    can't forget the original Love Bug series...

M3Driver guest

Wow..don't know how I overlooked some of these good ones too (especially the original 'Love Bug' as opposed to the lame remake).

Let's not forget 'Gran Prix' with James Garner either along with the first "Smokey and The Bandit". Can't believe we haven't mentioned that one yet.

And yes, I had a blue '78 Trans Am that I bought new....$6395.00 OTD with the infamous T/A 6.6 engine. Dash was rattling at 5k miles but what an engine.....

Autohaus guest

Driving Miss Daisy

hefewzn

LMAO :cool:

no particular order:
    Mad Max
    Transporter
    Canonball Run
    Ronin
    Gone in 60 Seconds (original)
    and for good measure: Mother, Juggs and Speed!

CRKrieger

Grand Prix
    LeMans
    The Italian Job - the ORIGINAL one, with Michael Caine
    Cars

I guess the thread doesn't call for a list of those that suck like Deathrace 2000, the Mad Max series, Two Lane Blacktop, or Mary/Larry. :p

Autohaus guest

What about the car scene in "There's Something About Mary" with the infamous 7 minute abs :confused:

MGarrison

I had to laugh at Driving Miss Daisy, although that movie is it's own kind of classic.

Terminator 2 & 3 (where else do you get to see semi's and bigger create as much carnage...)

Autohaus guest

Matrix Reloaded with GM cars flipping all over the place.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Movies, good or bad

Grand Prix is essential; get the two-disc DVD and watch all the special features first, then the movie. Pay no attention to Eva Marie Saint. Learn to affect a French accent when you say, "When Ah see somzing 'orreebool, Ah poot mah foot down, hard---because I know zee othairs are leefting zairs!"

Frankenheimer said he made Ronin to go back and remind people how a car chase should be done.

American Graffiti is great fun, especially when the farm boy (some guy named Ford) rolls the bitchin' '55 Chevy; the one you see upside down is an obvious junkyard dog with skinny steel wheels.

The Last Run is essential BMW-junkie kindergarten. Use it when somebody asks you what you mean by "existential film."

Gone In Sixty Seconds is the second most insulting movie ever made, as good a reason as any to boycott Nicolas Cage movies. In one scene the mirror of the Mustang is snapped off, bouncing against the door and hanging by its wires; in the next scene, it's miraculously restored. I can suspend disbelief long enough to put up with what one critic calls "the inevitable flame-and-steam factory," but self-healing mirrors show a disdain for the audience.

ChrisV

That's what's so wonderful about the original Gone in Sixty Seconds. The Mustang used in that movie was the same car from beginning to end (no stand-ins) and as it got damaged in a scene, it stayed that way (and continued to get pounded on throughout the movie).

[IMG]

Outside of that movie, I've gotten as used to self healing cars in chase scenes as I have of tires squealing on dirt. That's one that irks me.

hefewzn

That's the problem with chase scene's in 95% of the movies today. Self healing cars, CG crashes and unrealistic CG stunts.

Give me a good old Blues Brothers chase through the mall any day!:cool:

Arash2002tii guest

Grand Prix and Le Mans are both great movies in my opinion, and I know its not a car movie technically but the chase scene in Bullit is one of the greatest

gokartmozart guest

I have to say that the film that Audi did about last year's Le Mans (actually done by NFL Films) is up there in my top 5. Very well told and narrated by Jason Stratham (the Transporter guy). It is a really winner. Shown on ESPN HD only once...But...

...it is free on iTunes for download and watching. Search for "Truth In 24" under the Movies heading. :)

Autohaus guest

What a movie :D. I love the ending car scene when they book through Chicago under the L and all the police cars decided to fly and turn over :)

M3Driver guest

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.