Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Sirius radio... Can I get it?

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by 03reptile, Sep 30, 2010.

03reptile guest

Well, after a 16 year sabatical from owning a BMW, I have returned and now have a 2008 535Is. Love the car but it doesn't seem to have Serius. The radio in the car is code# S693A and says "satellite tuner preperation". Before going to the dealer, is anyone aware if this radio can be converted to receive Serius? I don't want one of those aftermarket little boxes that hook up to the radio and am wondering what choices are available to me. Thanks in advance for any responses to my inquiry. The wife loves Serius so I must find a way to keep her happy!

03reptile guest

Well, judging from the plethora of responses, I guess no one has a similar issue. Thanks, anyway. I'll check with the dealer.

tomekk

Sirius in '08 535xi

I had the sat radio pre-wiring, and added factory Sirius tuner no problem.
    My car is '08 535xi, with iDrive / nav. The installation was done by the dealer - tuner, install, and 1 year of service after 10% BMWCCA discount was $650.
    Hope this helps.

Everything is working great so far (knock on wood).

Tomek

03reptile guest

Tomek, Thanks for the response!! I asume mine is pre-wired, as well, as it indicates satellite tuner preperation..right? Mine also has the navigation and I-drive. I guess the next move is to get it in to have the conversion done.

03reptile guest

Tomek, Just checked with two dealers and to accomplish what you described, they want between $900 to $1000.00 to install the tuner and re-program the computer via the I-Drive system. I think the tuner was about $445.00 with my BMWCCA 10% discount. Does this sound a little high? or is it the going rate. I'm in the dark here. The price included all asociated labor, as well. Looking forward to your thoughts.... or other readers input.

tomekk

03reptile,

i'm very sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I was away for a while and then didn't think to log in to check posts.
    I bought my sirrius tuner at BMW Galler in Norwood, MA at their parts department, and basically the installation was included in the price (which came to $650 after the discount). So I think $900 sound quite high. Are you sure your car is prewired for the satellite tuner? That could make a big difference.
    They should be able to check the VIN options and let you know clearly if it is or not. I assume adding wiring could be labor-intensive, so maybe this is what drives the price up.
    Pre-wiring was listed (I think) on my car's window sticker. I can check later when I get back home.
    Cheers & good luck, again sorry for late respone.

03reptile guest

Tomek: My car is pre-wired for satellite radio, so that wasn't the issue. Just a bit of DC/ metro area gouging, I suspect. I had a private shop order the tuner from BMW and have had the tuner installed and programed into the car's computer. The radio should be operational as soon as I get the time to have Serius activate the account. Did have a pinched wire in the car's satellite shark fin, which necessitated a new antenna/fin from BMW (warranty) so this delayed activation. The installers pre-tested it with a portable antenna and everything worked fine. So once the new antenna is installed, my wife will be happy. Thanks for your response! Oh, and yes, I'll be paying about what you shelled out for all the work. Too bad some dealers are caught up in greed. Thanks again.

tomekk

All right, good luck!

For activation, call from your car (and have the engine running, it takes a long time to get through to Sirius customer service) - you'll need the code on the radio etc.

Did you get the 1 year free service with the tuner?

03reptile guest

Yes I received the first year free service with the tuner. Also, when I bring up the satellite section on the car's computer screen, it gives me the ESN number for my radio and also the 800 number to call for activation. The antenna will be installed next Monday, so by Tuesday, We should be up and running. Thanks again for your input!!

03reptile guest

Just a final note; picked up the car today, called Serius from my cell phone while sitting in the car, and after waiting to speak with a technician, they sent a signal and walla! I now have Serius. Tomekk, thanks for your input. Saved myself about $400.00.

tomekk

Enjoy! :)

djcwardog guest

next thing...iPod

Unless you car already has the USB/Aux in dual jack and iPod compatibility from the factory, ditch that CD changer in the glove box (or see if you had CD Changer Prep - most all did...) and have the dealer install the iPod integration kit in place of the glovebox CD changer... In my 2007 550i I had the sat tuner and the iPod kit installed at same time by dealer - charged only one program fee that way... Of course, the car also pulls down any other relevant software updates through the "yellow cable" and can take over 24 hours to do it. The techs just check it every so often while doing other work. I had my nav updated and the interface was better than before...