Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Sirius...Acquiring?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by E92Dreier, Jan 5, 2010.

E92Dreier

Is anyone else experiencing AM/FM signal distortion on their MY 2010 BMW? How about their Sirius Sat. Radio becoming stuck on acquiring?

I have made two trips to the dealer for this issue -- they now inform me that there is currently no fix, and that there is nothing I can do but wait.

SIB 65 37 09 seems to concur with the dealer, though I wish they would have been aware of it since day one, since I was.

I am just trying to reach out to the community, see what anyone else has experienced.

rspeser

I have a 2006 Z4 with OE Sirius and have noticed lately that it takes a long time to acquire when I pull out of the garage. Several times I have had to turn the radio off and back on for it to acquire a signal. I have also noticed that it will drop out even though there is no antenna obstruction. I am quite aware that if I go under trees or bridges the signal will drop but lately it has been happening in the clear. I also have another Sirius in a Mercury that is factory and it never looses signal unless I am under a bridge.

E92Dreier

You might be interested in previous SIBs abuot Sirius -- When I have some time tomorrow, I will try to pull them up for you.

I am becoming more and more of a student of this issue as BMW is telling me basically to cross my fingers and *hope* for a fix. :rolleyes:

JohnnK guest

New 2010 328i same Issue among others....... Think I may have a ford or GM. I'll let you know what they say when I take it in.

E92Dreier

Good luck -- it seems that BMW had re-engineered the system. Don't quote me on the verncaular but the harness and the module are no longer two separate units -- they are now one, hence mroe expensive, and more difficult to diagnose when something goes awry.

Be sure to make your service advisor aware of the SIB I posted above...it might save you some time.

WesTex335

I have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow for this issue. There is a simple work-around posed at e90post.com. It worked for me this morning. After inserting the key-fob in the slot, the dash lights up, turn on the radio and wait until the satellite acquires the station. Once the station is acquired, start the car.

E92Dreier

I know about the work around, it just doesn't always work, and it is kind of annoying -- I also have other symptoms involving the reception on my AM/FM radio that are not remedied by this 'work around.'

BMW should probably make an effort to inform their customers of this problem, the potential for a fix, and their willingness to make ammends.

E92Dreier

I wonder just how widespread this problem is...I was just pumping some gas when a young lady in a 128i pulls up. We begin a friendly banter about our cars being the cleanest on the salty roads and then she says, "Let me ask you something...does your Sirius radio cut off and get stuck on acquiring when you change stations?"

We both had a good laugh about it, and then lamented the failure of our dealership and BMW NA to rectify the problem in a timely and efficient manner. She raised the idea of a free extension of her Sirius subscription to replace the down time -- then we both had a good laugh.

On e90post, I have seen threads where people are trying to lemon their cars after three unsuccessful trips to the dealer to fix this problem - one member said he was given an entirely monthly payment back as a goodwill gesture. The amount of mis- and dis-information coming from dealers is appalling, and the lack of top-down leadership from NA (as well as requisite customer service) is scary. At least it's not my HPFP.

WesTex335

I went to the dealer this morning about the satellite "acquiring" problem. The latest bulletin from BMW received this morning says there is no fix yet. He said he would let me know when a fix is ready. He has a new 135 with the same problem so I think he will be on top of this one.

E92Dreier

Good luck -- I have another appointment for next week -- If they made this appointment while there is still ' no fix,' that doesn't bode well for a successful repair.

I guess I will give them the benefit of the doubt (again), and hope for the best. It would be a shame for BMW to lose loyal customers because of a systemic failure in customer service.

E92Dreier

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326665&page=1

This thread from another forum also offers insight into the problem.

Apparently, there is still no fix, and some customers get better treatment than others. I guess I will have to contact BMW NA and ask for some sort of gratuity. Seems backward to me.

WesTex335

I got a call from my SA yesterday. He says there is a fix. He has a new 135 with the same problem. He told me his was gong to put the fix on his today and if it works he will schedule me for next week.

E92Dreier

I have had my problems remedied...a software patch of some sort was performed remotely.

WesTex335

I wasn't told it could be done remotely. My car is in the shop today. My SA says his 2010 135i is working fine now.

WesTex335

My radio was fixed last month and has been working fine since.