Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Short Shift Kit

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Jul 20, 2008.

az3579

Yeah, I noticed that when I tried to stick a mirror down the shift lever to "attempt" to get a better view of it all, but failed miserably in getting any useful views out of it. I read up on it and am a bit worried about the plastic; I hear the plastic ones are prone to wear, but if you think about it, it'll probably take years and years for it to wear. The car's already at 300,000; how much longer will it possibly go? Probably not much longer if I keep "using" it the way I do, but I'm not as worried about this part.

Thanks moosehead, that completely reassured me. If you've "restored" the shift for people using less parts than I have, then I guess having these other parts is just a plus (other than part 6, of course, which looks pretty worn).

I do have to note, however, that I did not get a new "foam" piece that you mention. Part 19, which I think you mentioned as the foam, is written as a plastic washer in the RealOEM diagram. Does this mean I can reuse this foam piece if there is one in there?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

300k?! I would bet that you could just put on 13 and be happy! My guess is that when you put your car into reverse that your shift lever hits the console and moves it to the left. Am I right? If so, you have all you need to make you a very happy bimmer pilot. I would not worry about the plastic ball. Just make sure you use a good lube. I recommend a silicone based goo (as apposed to spray, or petroleum grease.) Even dielectric grease will work in a pinch. If you have any foam left, you can reuse it. If not, just need a stiff piece of rubbery foam or suck it up and order one from the dealer for 56 cents (if they will sell you one that way.)

az3579

When I put it into reverse, it does hit the console, but it doesn't change it's position in any way, just squeaks and creaks like the old material the console is (sounds really embarrassing!).

About that foam piece: is that something that has to be ordered or does the dealer usually stock it (universal piece)? My stealer's parts dept. isn't open on weekends, so if it has to be ordered, then I'm stuffed.

Also, is there a phone # I can call if I get stuck? lol

mooseheadm5

I doubt they will have it, but like I said, stiff piece of foam rubber or your old one will do, so have one ready before you pull it apart.

az3579

Don't know where I'm going to get that. Don't have anything like that at home and don't know where to buy it as I've never had to buy foam before. lol

Perhaps I can make do without it, or is it absolutely necessary? I always assume the worst so I imagine my foam deteriorated.

mooseheadm5

Do you have a Michaels or JoAnn fabrics or some other craft store? The stiff springy foam rubber they use for (ugh) scrapbooking stamps will work. Should cost very little.

az3579

I'll find one. I know there's a Michael's in one of the nearby towns/cities. Thanks for all your help; I figured you'd be tired of me by now. :D

az3579

Alright. I just crawled under the car and I almost soiled myself.

The exhaust is in the way, the driveshaft is in the way, and the flex disc is in the way. The driveshaft HAS to come out, or AT LEAST the guibo, because without removing the disc, you can NOT access the E30 pin of death. The driveshaft is a big job and I have to remove that if I want to get anywhere...

Not only that, but I have the drive-up ramps and that just barely allows me to get under the car. I do have the jacks but my driveway isn't what I would call level and I would be really skeptical about jacks on my driveway. Even then, I still can't get to it. I really would have liked to know this earlier; I haven't found ANY pictures of the space I would be working in with the driveshaft in place, so I couldn't have imagined how hard it would be without pictures.

If I had a lift, I'd be a lot braver, but since I don't have one, I'm starting to veer towards having someone do it for me...........

Brian A

Take a deep breath

Don't attempt to remove the exhaust system and driveshaft. It's a huge job. (In my case, I was replacing the driveshaft and redid the shift mechanism as a while-I-have-the-exhaust/driveshaft-off secondary project.). You have to get the dreaded clip off by reaching through that small opening on the side of the driveshaft; that is why it is so infamously difficult.

It's always a hard call about what you can do yourself and what you cannot. Only you can decide. Many car projects seem a bit like swimming straight offshore without looking back to check to see if you can get back to shore. (The driveshaft project seemed like that for me.)

You need a lot of room under the car (for any project). Ramps won't do it, but PLEASE don't contemplate jack stands until you know exactly how to use them (i.e. taught by a mentor, have an appropriate site, supervised the first couple of times etc). The consequence of getting it slightly wrong is fatal.

az3579

Which is why I didn't go on with the project.
    I was going to not even bother and take it to the shop across the street, but I'm glad my brother came to the rescue. I was really bummed that it was something I probably couldn't have done without a lift, but he said he could find some time tomorrow morning (Sunday) before I leave for our Fishkill meet with the Patroon guys. He also had the same concern; that I wouldn't learn anything if someone else did it. So, if all goes to plan, we could get it done tomorrow, though I seriously doubt it'll take "only an hour" as he said, so I'm going to make sure we get up early tomorrow.

Either way, this IS going to get done. I need to finally pull the trigger on at least one of my projects...

mooseheadm5

It will take more than an hour, so bring your bro some lunch and beverage. On a lift, you can just cut the trans mount bracket loose and lower it down. If you need to move the driveshaft, you only have to undo the 6 bolts on the guibo to get it out of the way (before you lower the trans, though.) An impact driver helps. Then you should be good to go. It is a PITA, but you will be thrilled when finished. I used to charge 3 hours, for just the parts you are replaceing, but I usually did it when the driveshaft was down for any other reason (guibo, trans seals, center support, etc.) I am efficien (read: lazy) and do whatever I can to keep from having to remove it or the exhaust. Good luck.