Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Shop Manual, evaporator change X-3

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by nweigen, Aug 29, 2012.

nweigen

Thinking about replacing a leaking evaporator in our 04 X-3, and I understand that the job is a bear. Found a posting on you-tube (replacing X-3 evaporator), they did the job in a little over 6 minutes on a sped up video, was helpful but soon realized not to attempt with out some sort of written guidance, at least how to dismantle the dash.

Can anyone out there give me some advice as to finding some sort of manual for the job, at least dismantling the dash.

Your comments/guidance would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Norm...

MGarrison

I have no insight on X3, so can't help you there - it appears there is no Bentley manual on X3's. If no one here pipes in with help, you might email Mike Miller, call/email one of the club's TIPS reps, and/or check any of the other BMW-specific forums - bimmerforums.com, bimmerfest.com, etc. Not sure if there's a forum out there oriented solely to X3's.

charlson89

I have done many e83 evaporator, and I will say that they are one of the easiest ones to do next to the e46 convert's. The hardest part in my opinion is the evaporator box and removing the evaporator. I also recommend replacing the TXV (expansion valve) during this job. This job can be done in a day and I tell people to look at this site sometimes for BMW information I don't belive it has anything on the evaporator but could help with other issues. If you have any question please ask.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/e83/X3_3.0i_(M54)_OFFRD/Fuel_system/fuel_pump_with_drive_and_line/

I found a e83 x3 forum and they have some good info about evaporator's and other issues they see.
    http://www.xoutpost.com/archive/index.php/f-4.html