Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Shipping a car to Europe and then back to the States

Discussion in 'European Delivery' started by fparmenter, Dec 21, 2011.

fparmenter guest

I hope this isn't too much off-topic for this forum. I want to ship my Z3 to Europe, drive it around for a month or two, and then have it shipped back. I get all sorts of contradictory information on how difficult this is. Is there anybody out there who has actually done this and wouldn't mind sharing their experiences?

Thanks.

MGarrison

No experience, but seems possible that all potential costs involved (customs processing/transportation to & from/licensing/certification/insurance, perhaps/etc.) might make a 2 month rental more attractive. Depending on insurance costs for the coverage, a rental would mean you could rest a little easier over any concerns about theft or damage. Not that it would be any better state-side, but to me at least, it would be a real drag to lose your own car over there.

Pyewacket1

I would not attempt it. I have been involved in getting a Harley Davidson motorcycle shipped to Germany, and it took 3 months (Sept.-Nov. 2011) to get it through US customs using DHL as the shipping agent.

Rent something there. It solves so many issues.

Laguna30

Odd
    GrassRoots MotorSport had an article years back about a guy shipping his Scirocco to Europe and back - Stated it was not that hard and he had a blast - meeting fellow VW enthusiasts, curious policemen and driving flat out on the autobahn

Things change but it is a bucket list item for one of my cars ...

PS - there isn't much traffic on these forums - So being 5 years too late to influence any decisions - no one will notice :)

ladydeclare

It cost 19031.30 DKK to ship my car to the U.S. :)