Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Shifter Problem - 2003 330XI 5 Speed

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by BMWCCABR, Dec 27, 2008.

BMWCCABR guest

I have a 2003 330XI with a 5 speed manual transmission and with approximately 65K miles. The problem is the shifter won't return to its neutral when I take it out of any gear. Normally it should return to a neutral position which would allow me to shift into 3rd gear. It currently tends to stay below 5th gear. The dealer indicated the shifter bushing needs to be changed. However, given where the bushing is located, it's an expensive repair. Are there any other options?

az3579

If it's a shifter bushing and they're 100% sure of it, then it has to be replaced whether or not it's expensive to repair. Or, you could live with it, which I doubt you will want to.

And naturally, if you do anything at a dealer, it will be expensive. Go to an independent shop to have it done and it will most likely cost you less to do.

BMWCCABR guest

Thanks az3579. The shifter works OK about 50% of the time so I was wondering if there is a lubrication issue that I could tend to myself. I have a good independent shop but given the distance he is from me I usually have to take a day off from work to go an see him. The other issue here is given where the bushing is, it probably makes sense to replace the clutch at the same time. However, my clutch is fine for the time being.