Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

service engine soon light on e46 BMW M3

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by bharatmd, Feb 11, 2009.

bharatmd guest

My 2003 m3 convertible with 48000 miles is showing service engine soon light. Dealer changed ignition coils and light went off but now its bakc again. Now dealer wants to change vanos computer system. almost 4000 dollars. is he trying to rip me off?? anyone with same problem?? does extended warranties cover such problems?
    any help is appreciated. sometimes ,i feel bmw makes horrible unreliable cars with major problems att the time. i am really thinkin twice before getting new m3.
    thanks,
    Bharat

Autohaus guest

Welcome to the forums. If your M3 is still under CPO warranty then the vanos computer/system should be changed under warranty and all you pay is the $50 deduct. plus tax. If you have a 3rd party warranty, then call up and ask if it would be covered. If all else fails, try drvanos.com and get a indy BMW shop to change it out for you. However, before you order anything or have the dealer charge you $4K, get a 2nd opinion.

bharatmd guest

thank you very much. i am going to have indy shop look at it. my car is out of warranty

Autohaus guest

Good luck. The prices on drvanos.com seem very reasonable.