Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Second thoughts on my E92 coupe

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by catsbimmer, Apr 18, 2010.

catsbimmer guest

I fell in love with the E92 coupe and recently traded my beloved E46 coupe (my first love!) in titanium silver for a space gray metallic with sports and premium package. I do love the car and all the gadgets, like the navigation and the iphone integration, but I can't help but miss my E46. I missed the back windows that opened, the ergonomics of the interior, and the heavy driver's door when I opened and closed it (lol).

I've also noticed that whereas the front fender panels on the E 46 is solid metal, the E92 feels like plastic/ fiberglass while I tapped it. Now I am wondering if the car is made with cheaper materials instead of solid metal, and that raises the question of safety. I think one reason I bought a BMW is because of the crash safety ratings, but with plastic/ fiberglass material, how will the car hold up? Now I am wondering what else is plastic on the car.

With all this, I think I miss my 46 even more! I feel like I need to go on a car search again....maybe for a mint condition E46 M3. Anyone with similiar thoughts?

thanks for your input.

Zeichen311

The fender panels aren't what save your bacon in a crash, that would be the unibody substructure they're mounted to. In a crash, it crumples in some places, remains rigid in others and in general directs energy around instead of into the passenger compartment.

Plastics/composites are used for a variety of reasons including weight management, physical characteristics, better manufacturing tolerances and yes, reduced production expense. That's not always a bad thing because it can free up money to be spent where it will do more good.

BMWs receive superb safety marks across the board, and those marks reflect results, not a scorecard on what the bits are made of. You are still driving an extremely safe car. I suggest you not fret over your beautiful coupe's construction and go out and enjoy driving it! :D

granthr

Or sell it and buy the E46 M3.

catsbimmer guest

" BMWs receive superb safety marks across the board, and those marks reflect results, not a scorecard on what the bits are made of. You are still driving an extremely safe car. I suggest you not fret over your beautiful coupe's construction and go out and enjoy driving it! :D"

Thanks for your information and reassurance! You are right, NotTheStig, I should just enjoy the car, I love the power kick downs on the freeway takeoffs :)

catsbimmer guest

Doesn't mean I have to have one or the other :D

wretched

Thats my plan as well!

egallas

E46 vs E92

I do understand how you are feeling...I just ordered the new 2011 335i xdrive coupe and will need to give up my titanium silver e46 330xi...that car has been so much fun, so I'm hoping the risk/reward factor for the new coupe works out! I did see that in the 2010 Consumer Reports, the 2002 330xi is listed among the worst reliability used cars...I'm not sure what they are talking about, as mine has been little more than routine maintenance and a couple of minor problems likely to occur with almost any vehicle.