Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Seat belt chime

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by pjlan, Jun 26, 2009.

pjlan guest

Recently purchased an '07 530i e60. Love the car with one exception. Is there a way to turn down the volume on the seat belt chime? I recently drove an '09 3 series and it had a volume setting for this. Does dealer service have a way to adjust this volume, as it's really way too loud!? My dealer says they can't do this, however, I know there are many changes that can be made through programming. Any help would be appreciated.

Jonathan Spira guest

The volume control is new so there is no way to accomplish this on an older car.

In addition, it only chimes when the car is on and the driver is not belted in - something that typically only happens for a few seconds.

pjlan guest

Chime volume

Thanks for the reply. I agree that the time is usually short for the seat belt chime, however, the same chimes are used for other warnings as well while driving. I appreciate the warnings, but I'd appreciate a setting that warns, not startles! I guess I'll just get used to it.

louveres

How about disabling the chimes? Is there a way to totally disable the seatbelt chimes?

az3579

Not a good idea... :)
    I would think not as it's some kind of safety feature, and we all know how the government doesn't like manufacturers getting rid of safety features..........

jaredwaz guest

I just purchased on 07 530 as well, and the seat belt chime drives me crazy too! So far I have not found anyway to disable it. I know other cars (domestics) actually seem to be able to disable the chime very easily, as was the case in an 05 ford ranger and an 08 dodge charger that I had. The car is equipped with some of the most sophisticated safety equipment in the industry...do I really need to buckle up while driving thru the subdivision?? Law enforcement agents need not reply :)

bcweir

If people buckled up on their own intiative, we probably wouldn't have these chimes!

Airbags do not replace seatbelts. That's why they're called supplemental restraint systems.

I'm not going to explain low-speed crash physics to you, because you sound pretty determined on making a trip to the emergency room, but the speed of your vehicle isn't the sole factor of a crash, but how about the speed of the idiot who rams you (front, rear, or side)? It doesn't matter if you're driving slow enough to get passed by a grandparent with a walker -- if you get struck at any speed, that seatbelt is the only thing keeping you at an effective distance from the airbag. Without a seatbelt, there's nothing preventing you from sliding right into the steering wheel, and into the path of the exploding airbag.

Without being buckled in, instead of the airbag saving your life, it could end it.

Maybe if more people (like yourself) stopped trying to figure out how to defeat the purpose of lifesaving devices like seatbelts (or the chimes reminding you to strap yourself in), nanny-governments would stop trying to idiot-proof cars (like yours).

Just my $.02.

*I love it when manufacturers claim to invent something idiot-proof -- God simply comes up with a more advanced idiot to defeat it.*

MGarrison

Barring some built-in volume attenuation (as per the 3-series you drove), perhaps some muffling? Question is, where's the chime, how easily accessible is it - and, what else uses the chime; there might be other functions where you would want that chime volume.

Not as simple as it used to be - my old E30, the chime-box is snapped right to the easily removed driver's side under-dash cover, so access was easy. But, it wasn't annoyingly loud. The most annoying aspect of the E30 chime was it would ding with the door open and key in the ignition - a real nuisance when working on some car project where you'd have the door open for an extended time. However, that also was relatively easily defeated. Unfortunately, none of that helps for today's models!

jaredwaz guest

okay, we may be getting a little of topic here, but I just don't understand why the government cares if I buckle up. I pay my own car insurance and medical insurance, right? in regards to the car, more than just airbags have gone into my bimmer to make it 'safe', including my own driving skills and sense of awareness. also, i would argue capitalism, more than government regulations, has played a large role in driving advanced safety features in cars. one of the reasons people buy bimmers, benz's, volvo's and such is safety, right? seems like just good business to me.

finally, keep in mind i may merely be playing devils advocate here. let it be known that i personally feel almost naked without my seatbelt on. believe it or not, this feeling is in no way due to my safety belt reminder chime. there are some people that enjoy/need this friendly reminder and some who don't. and if im seeking the ER, as you say, by not wearing my belt in the subdivision, what is my destiny when i drive over the speed limit, or riding my bike, or when i'm on my motorcycle going 65+ mph? ...if only motorcycles had a helmet reminder chime!

safety is relative. now how the heck do i disable that annoying chime :p

granthr

I would dis advise trying to disable the alarm. It is so tightly tied into the whole computer system of the car that you will undoubtedly have other issues that arise. My friend tried to hot wire his in his 2010 328xi and it ended up with two or three trips to the dealer to get it corrected and a couple hundred dollars. May I suggest ear plugs! :D