Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

SCR tank extended warranty

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by daveclose, Jun 5, 2017.

daveclose

I have a 2001 335d. Today I got a letter from BMWNA extending the warranty on the SCR active tank to 10 years/120,000 miles. That's good news because I understand that these are trouble-prone and very expensive to replace. But does anyone have some background on this? I imagine that many owners had expensive trouble if BMW is extending the warranty out that far.

MGarrison

I think there have been some threads on here already relaying other's unfortunate tales - try searching, or peruse the E9x forum.

daveclose

Make that a 2011 335d. Damn clumsy fingers.
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

The SCR tank does have issues hence the extended warranty. Normally what fails is the level sensors for the tank and they can not be replaced separate. The active and passive tanks on this vehicle are combined so if you replace one you replace the other.

floydarogers

There has been substantial discussion about this on the bimmerfest and e90post diesel forums. The SIB is 01 23 16, I'll attach it here.

BMW extended the warranty on the X5 diesels back in September. They updated the SIB to add the 335d in May. The DEF tank costs around $4000 to replace at a dealer (I spent $3800 at an indy in December.) Many people have had to do the same because there are no BMW replaceable parts (the level sensor and temperature sensor) and the whole tank has to be replaced by BMW rather than the sensors (which cost only a couple hundred or less.) Fortunately, I (and others) will be reimbursed this cost in most cases. It's hard to quantify how many people have had problems, but I can count 2-3 dozen on those forums, which is indicative of a widespread problem.

BMW may be reacting to the troubles that VW and now Mercedes and Fiat are having with diesel certification and maintenance. Interestingly, the newer F3x SCR systems have redesigned components (ultra-sonic level sensor and etc.) that eliminates most of the DEF tank problems.

Attached Files:

floydarogers

I wanted to add on to this that BMWNA last week added a 10/120K warranty for the NOx sensors for M57 motors. They cost $500-$650 each, so that's an additional savings (my bill was $1828 or so last year.) BMWNA has stepped up quite a bit on these emissions systems, IMO. Too bad I'm over 120K - anything else they extend a warranty on won't likely be covered.