Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Same Old Water Pump?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by mhm2526, Jun 11, 2009.

mhm2526 guest

The earlier 3 (and 5) series are infamous for their 60 thousand mile water pumps. My 2000 E46's lasted until about 80K. Happily (?), I heard it failing and drove to my mechanic's where the car puked at the entrance to his shop, whereupon my wallet puked out about $400. My E92 just blitzed past 50K and now I'm wondering if I have to worry about replacing the water pump soon. Anybody know if BMW has remedied this or are we still to expect failures every 60K? Thanks for any inputs.

M3Driver guest

I am well familiar with the water pump issue. Ours in our '00 528i puked at 90k. Mike Miller (techtalk@roundel.org) recommended preventative replacement on those models (and some others) at 60k. I don't know if the new pumps are any better. Shoot Mike an email at the email address I listed above and ask him. He is typically back at you very quickly.

cheers.

az3579

The new pumps are better, but you should still replace them every 60k.

mhm2526 guest

Outstanding. Thanks for the help.

M3Driver guest

mhm2526 guest

Thanks for the responses. I took M3 's suggestion and emailed Mike Miller. Different pump completely. The one on the N51 engine is an electric pump rather than a mechanical one as in the old E46 and E39. There have been some failures but it is not known if they are because of defective pumps or a trend to be concerned about. New engine, new pump, more data needed. What a great resource Roundel, the Tech Talk forum and Mike Miller are. Thanks again, folks.