Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

s85 Rod Bearing Replacement

Discussion in 'E60 M5 (2006-present)' started by Bulwarkz, May 24, 2018.

Bulwarkz "Toothless"

Has anyone replaced the rod bearings in the 2006-20010 M5 (v10) themselves?

or

If you have had those rod bearings replace by someone else could you recommend a shop?

MGarrison

Welcome to the club & forums! This might be helpful in getting to a shop: https://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.php?threads/looking-for-a-repair-shop-start-here.10432/

Pretty big job to replace bearings, but not something I have experience with - our resident tech Charlson should have some comment on if it's feasible to tackle yourself; I suppose if it can be done from underneath without pulling the engine that would be the least-effort way. On a lift would be substantially easier & safer than how high you'd have to get the car jacked in the air & on tall stands to remotely have enough room to tackle the job.

charlson89

If you don't have a hoist to use, I recommend not doing it on jack stands lots of stuff to remove and you need to be careful to not scratch the crankshaft journals.
    Bulwarkz likes this.

Bulwarkz "Toothless"

@charlson89 I agree. I did email a lot of BMW shops asking for quotes and the only one who responded was Ian Jagor at solomotorsports.net. Lack of response doesn't speak much for the rest of the community but Ian's professionalism has won my business.

charlson89

Great to hear you found a place to get this done.
    Bulwarkz likes this.