Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

S38&M30 block prep?

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by Eric Miller, Sep 15, 2009.

Eric Miller guest

OK, I'm ready to take the big dive here with my virgin be it 300K miles virgin block from my much loved 88M5 & wish to do Once & do it right. IE don't have time or cash to do it twice! My question is what is the factory spec's for block honing? IE torque plate & are block soft plugs removed or? & what is the finish & angle to the finish. Is it nessary to deck block & if so what is the limit of removal of material of the block & head together total? .012" comes to mind? Now who does this service ...Hint I'm in the Puget Sound Chapter & my olod M & won the the Mcar day hi-miles for well two years & I step down this year (would have won again) so I could park my M5 next to a "M1" @Griot's Shop on M-car day...Hey that a blessing in it self! Thanks Lance! Note: I plan on JE or CP pistons as I have a bastard set-up. I have a rare RD racing 90mm crank & rods & rods are 143.5c-c so a stock piston will not work. I would also like rings deves? total seal? or? there are many questions that need to be addressed but I can tell you Yep I use Amsoil 20w-50ARO & plan using Schrick Cams with a splash of S38B38 stuff like 50mm T-bodies & plemum manifold from 3.6-3.8& I have a complete 3.8 DME & dme harness. I would like to have smooth running driver with BoCoo M-Power maybe like 360+ Hp with Torque to boot!
    Well whats your thoughts....?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

That was really hard to read. Really, really. I got the gist of it, though, and I suggest you contact these people:
    http://www.bimmerpro.com/
    Jesse there works with a master engine builder and can likely set you up with what you want.I happen to know that he can get a hold of custom pistons in whatever size and CR you need. I wouldn't let anyone else touch a motor with special parts like yours. You know that you will end up having thousands in the motor by the time you are done, right?

CRKrieger

Agreed. There are reasons for spelling and punctuation; clarity of communication being the biggest.
    And he will still not be near 360hp ...
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Well, I referred him to bimmerpro/burke and they can make that thing squeeze out 360 at the crank (for the right price.)