Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

S38 + 6 speed into E34 525iT

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by Peter Dane, Sep 26, 2008.

Peter Dane guest

Any guys out there who have done this swap or know someone who has.
    I'll be doing a complete E34 M5 Touring clone using a crashed 95 Euro M5 and a 95 525iT Auto (US) later this year and am looking for lessons learned from an actual completed swap.

Thanks in advance for any info
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You will need to source a driveshaft. Everything else is pretty straightforward. You must lose the SLS or get the pump from a Euro S38 touring with SLS if that was even an option. Get as much as you can from the M5.

Peter Dane guest

Thanks for the info Paul.

mooseheadm5

I also forgot, you need a pedal box from your year of MT E34, as well as a master cylinder and hydraulic line.

eightynine535 guest

don't for get to update us on your progress.

gtopaul

1995 525iT doesn't have SLS. Only the 92 and 93. Here's my 92 525iT M5T clone. Same principle but used an M5 suspension and 96 S52 M3 engine. Changed the electronics of the engine from OBD2 to OBD1 and used all the original peripherals and accessories except the MAS, TPS, DME (95 S50), and a few other minor pieces. I actually think it's as fast as my E34 M5.

Paul

[IMG]

Peter Dane guest

I finally got to drive it at the weekend. I went with Eibachs and konis stanse looks great but the ride is a little hard. With bridgestone R11s it corners like a formula car.
    I've got to thank Eastside Bavarian and specially James and Jamie for the work they did.
    Brakes turned out to be the biggest hold up in the whole process. I went with a great looking set of Alcon calipers but unfortunately the 'E34 Kit' that I bought from a reputable East coast shop turned out to be nothing more than an expensive collection of unrelated parts that did not fit my car. I never did get correct rear rotors or rear brackets that worked so I still have that to sort out but I wanted to drive it for a while before the weather in Seattle turns.
    I'll try to find time to post some pics soon.
    Peter

mooseheadm5

Glad you got it going. I just bought a 92 525iT so I will be doing some of the same stuff you are doing.

Dhodlick guest

For what it is worth, the S52 swap is every bit as fast as the S38 with a fraction of the costs and maintenance requirements. GTOPaul and I both have done the swap. When my car was N/A, it ran the 1/4 faster than the M5's were rated at when they were new.

gtopaul

In fact, since my 532iT is such a reliable daily driver and pretty quick I'm probably going to let the M5 go after Xmas sometime. I don't drive it and it's just taking up a parking space I could use. I only drove it maybe 150 miles last year. I put $7k into it in the last year and really have lost my enthusiasm for doing any more and they always need something. Great car to drive but I'm at the age now where rowing around a 5-speed is more of a chore than something to look forward to. So, if anyone wants to do another S38 into a Touring swap I've got your car.:)

[IMG]

mooseheadm5

Is the M5 a parts car or a good running car? If it runs well, don't scrap it for a swap!

gtopaul

It's got 212k miles on it but runs pretty good. I just installed a Supersprint Decat (one of the last two available direct from Italy) and a new factory cat back muffler system. New front end with new Bilstein Sports, all new self leveling/PS lines, staggered Throwing Stars w/new Bridgestone Potenza's on the back, new euro headlights, new plugs cap coil and rotor, just redid the door panels w/later 540 panels, new factory headliner, new performance (drilled) brakes, new E32 Sport (larger) front sway bar. It's the silver one in the prior post. Needs a new steering box because it has too much slack, got an extra 50k mile steering box but just haven't got around to swapping it. Seeps a little oil out the back of the head gasket I think. Nothing gets on the ground but I can smell it sometimes. I have a new headgasket set w/head bolts but it just isn't bad enough for me to worry about at this point. Have spare M5 instrument cluster, DME, and two new spare waterpumps. Etc. etc. Not in any big rush to sell at this point but probably will be ready after Xmas.

[IMG]