Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rules for posting

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by Don Crochet, Jul 19, 2011.

Don Crochet guest

This is my first time on this site and the bmwcca.org. What are the rules for posting on this forum?

MGarrison

I'm not sure if one these new

I'm not sure if on these new forums and/or website, anything's up about forum decorum.

If we go by whatever was generally accepted on the old forums, it's pretty simple - club rules of conduct are essentially treat others as you'd like to be treated, so, unless you're a masochist and have a 'outside-of-societal-norms' interpretation of the golden rule, it's pretty much, use common sense, play nice, keep it clean, and keep in mind the forums aren't age-restricted, so we're not throwing out expletives like a sailor who's toe just got crushed by the ship-anchor. Politics can be divisive, so it's encouraged to keep the focus on the cars and the fun stuff, and keep the politics out of it. Tolerance is generally high, but don't expect not to get called out for making oneself a egregious p-i-t-a, although that happening is, typically, the rare exception.

So.. welcome to the forums!

Don Crochet guest

Navigation disc update

I own a 2007 530i with the original navigation disc and I was wondering if the discs are available on line.

On another subject: I have a rectangular shaped button on the center of my dash (directly below the windshield) and I can't figure out what it's purpose is. I have not been able to find it in the manuel, I'd love to know what it's purpose is and for that matter how to make it work.

MGarrison

You would be better off

You would be better off posting your question in the forum topic appropriate to your car model - you'll be more likely to have somebody see your post that might have some insight. I don't have an answer for either question, but if you have the capability to take a picture, and post it in the E60 model-discussions forum, that will show exactly what you're asking about.

Unfortunately, posting pictures on these forums is not as simple as a-b-c.

Assuming you can easily take a picture and transfer it to your computer, you have to then get it uploaded to someplace on the web that will allow for the picture to be accessible. Photobucket.com, or perhaps flickr.com. Sign up there, make an account, upload your picture, figure out how to configure photobucket or flickr so that your picture can be seen by others, and get the URL (website address) for your pic.

Then, at the bottom of the page, below the message reply box on these forums is, in bolded blue, the words "Input Format." Click on that, and click the circle left of "WYSIWYG Content", to select wysiwyg.

Then at the top of the reply box, find the square "Image" icon (place your mouse over the icon and a text box pops up) - the image icon is to the left of the red-circle with the white italic "f". Click the "Image" icon, and the image properties dialog box pops up. Below the "URL" bolded text, input or copy/paste your picture's URL. If you see nothing in the preview pane except of bunch of latin Lorem Ipsum gobbledygook text, ignore it. Click the "Link" tab, to the right of the "Image Info" tab, and click back to the "Image Info" tab. If your URL is correct, AND wherever you have the picture allows it to be linked to (and thus, visible), your picture should show up in the image properties dialog box "preview pane", probably below all the Lorem ipsum text. If you can see your picture, click the green Ok button, and the picture should show in your reply box (remember to place your cursor in the area of the reply dialog box where you want your pic to show - if your cursor's in the middle of a word, your pic will be inserted and split your word/sentence, etc).

If you selected the WYSIWYG input format, your pic should show up in the reply box. It won't show unless you select the WYSIWYG input format, so make sure to do that first, or else you'll have to repeat the process with the "Image" icon and re-entering the pic url, etc.

Simple, huh? surprise

If, perchance you have your own website space, you could upload a picture directly to that, and with your pic's url, input it as described. Easier than photobucket or flickr, except you have to have a program to access your webspace and know how to use it to upload and download files. Photobucket and flickr will walk you more readily through the uploading/downloading, but they commonly have configuration options where the defaults are set to not allow viewing by everyone or link-related viewing, meaning you have to go through some rigamarole to set access rights for your pictures, or albums you create on their sites.