Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Roadrunner Chapter's 2013 Devil's Highway Run

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by ttribe, Jul 9, 2013.

ttribe

Weekend before last was the BMWCCA Roadrunner Chapter's annual "Devil's Highway Run" in Northern AZ. Just a few pics below.

The route itself runs from Alpine, AZ into New Mexico and then South, followed by a Western turn back into Arizona. The drive then proceeds through the mining towns of Clifton and Morenci before a twisty climb back into the mountains ending back where it all began in Alpine. The total loop is about 210 miles. The ~100 miles from Morenci to Alpine includes more than 500 turns on narrow two-lane roads in very mountainous terrain. A whole lot of fun, but a little harrowing when you come around a corner and find 6 roaming cows on the side of the road (as I did at one point).

[IMG]

Prior to the actual run, we took a "leisurely" 20-mile drive to have breakfast at Hannagan Meadow Lodge -

[IMG]

[IMG]

The view across from the lodge...yep, that's actually a picture of pine forest in Arizona:

[IMG]

The lineup of participants (including an interloper from Stuttgart):

[IMG]

[IMG]

This E90 M3 had the full set of Dinan performance modifications, including the stroker motor! Very fast!

[IMG]

The Cayman S. Word has it, in the right hands, it ran away from all the BMWs in the twisties...pretty impressive car:

[IMG]

Turns out we didn't pay much attention to signs like the one to the right:

[IMG]

Just before we started our ascent through the mountains (where my hands could NOT leave the wheel to take any pictures) we stopped to take in the sight of the world's largest open-pit copper mine in Morenci:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Summary - lots of fun. Lots of twists and turns. Lots of ignoring posted speed limits. A little rain in the mountains, just to make things even more interesting (as if a sheer rock face on one side, and sheer drop on the other didn't make things interesting enough). Oh, and can't forget the cows....