Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rings around Headlights out on right side

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by RaceBlood, May 26, 2010.

RaceBlood guest

So I start my car after a lunch meeting and the light bulb warning light comes on, and after I get home, the rings around both the right side headlamps are out-

Is this a fuse? The rings? Everything looks connected from the under the hood-

Thanks Tim

Zeichen311

Fuse would be my second choice since both sides are probably on the same circuit. Odds are you simply burned out a lamp.

RaceBlood guest

H8 Bulb

How difficult is it to change this myself (no warranty)? The right side behind the headlight housing is cramped, looks like some AC compressor tubes and valves...

pseto

the H8 bulbs are plug-and-play, however find some with really small hands because its pretty tight in there. there's only 1 H8 bulb per headlight and it lights up both rings

RaceBlood guest

Lightbulb

I took a look in there and yes, its a tight area that is also obstructed by a support brace from wheel well to frame at 45 degrees, so I went to BMW dealer and asked SA how much to replace, he said zippo, I said I was out of warranty, he said how much, I said 3K miles, he said Zippo, bring it in, I'll do it while you wait, ran home ( 2 blocks in Chicago) and brought it in to Perillo BMW, they even washed it, and cleaned the wheels.... I gave SA $20 and said THANK YOU!

ahhhh

Zeichen311

Nice - twenty bucks well spent! :)

bcweir

Wow. Put THAT dealer under the "good guy" list!

Congrats! They fixed the problem, WASHED IT, AND shined up your wheels (the detail job alone would be worth $20, and they did it for free)! Now that's what I call a FULL SERVICE BMW dealer!

az3579

I would've paid them $20 NOT to wash it; they probably just run it through the automated, which is bad for the paint...

RaceBlood guest

Car Wash

no, they hand wash it.....when I got 4 wheel alignment I asked if they hand wash or have a machine, just to be safe....

Now I get home, feeling good, looking good (angel eyes) and slam the door on the seat belt and the little plastic fastener breaks off and now the latch on the belt slide to the floor....

ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING!

I think I can PUT the new snap on myself, now the parts guy, will he charge me for a $1 plastic snap???

az3579

Yes.

Dealers charge for everything, which is why it's a major surprise they didn't charge you anything. It is service, so I supposed that counts.
    But, as far as parts are concerned, I've never heard of a dealer, no matter how good they are, give out free parts.

tiFreak

they probably figured that they'd be out a few dollars on the bulb, and gain a loyal customer, I work in a shop and my boss will occasionally do that for new customers or our older, loyal customers