Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Review: BMW of Humboldt Bay

Discussion in 'BMW' started by biomimetic, Aug 25, 2009.

biomimetic guest

First time BMW owner. Not off to a good start...

BMW of Humboldt Bay (in northern California):

Bought a used car from these chuckleheads at the darkest point for car dealers in 2009 when their stock was literally overflowing off the parking lot. Didn't ask for too much from them - a scratch repair, a couple of all weather mats and a satellite radio install. I expected, based on the dealership being empty or nearly empty every time I was in there, they would want to cast themselves in the best light. But no. They told me yes on all my requirements for buying the car, but conveniently forgot to mention they couldn't get a satellite radio (being restocked during the sirius/xm merger) from BMW NA. However I was able to locate a unit at another dealer online. Not only did I go in and show them the website with the radio for sale, I talked ot the other dealer to confirm it was available and would work with the car. They still would not purchase or install the item. As for the scratch, they would call me at 7:30am or 7:30pm and leave a message, and shunt me directly to voicemail when I called back - and on the one occasion where they made an appointment rather than just saying 'call us back', it was for the next day - about twelve hours notification. No offer of a loaner; nothing. When I repaired the scratch they refused to reimburse me for even so much as the paint cost. Combine that with a lack of care for the car - when I picked it up they refused to change the fluids even though the car had been sitting for the better part fo a year (and through the Humboldt rainy season). I had to do that as well - but I was glad I did, because at one point, back in the dealer arguing with them, I witnessed a tech talking to an owner of an older car (the owner did know something about the car) telling the owner the wrong thing. At that point I didn't even want them changing the oil. Eventually I had to log a complaint with BMW NA and have my dealer changed to the bay area for service.

So I would say if you're driving through to Portland and you have a problem, keep going if you can, or have it towed back to the Santa Rosa...

...ah, well... at least the car is great...

biomimetic guest

A minor update: it appears the local dealer is about to go out of business. I like to think I hurt them a bit by posting this story here, on Craigslist (Bay Area and Humboldt) and on Yelp. Very few cars on the lot in November, all cars used, half of them random American trucks or Detroit made sedans. I also had fun pointing out to the NoCal club newsletter that they had taken out an ad advertising ten percent off, and weren't honoring their own ad - that I had in fact had a conversation with both the general manager after lost license plates (and them trying to charge me to put them on the car), and with the parts manager about a few missing bits. Thanks to the club I also was able to find about ten things that were illegal/questionable they did during the sale, which I was able to forward to DMV dealer criminal complaints. Thanks to all who helped.