Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Reupholster or replace?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by smurfless, Dec 2, 2013.

smurfless

Long story, Ol' Stiggy our '97 M3 sedan is showing some odd spots and tears and stuff. I mean, geez, you put 177k miles on a car and it starts wearing out?

Anyway, any advice on whether it's worth having some panels replaced/reupholstered or do you suggest just getting something used and continuing standard leather care? Dove grey non-vader seats installed, the driver seat and the rear back definitely need attention.

charlson89

I would look into getting some used leather from another car. It can be very expensive to get reupholstered and most can not match the stitching I have seen some pretty bad jobs done.

MGarrison

Try Ebay or any local pic-n-pulls.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

First, take care of what you have; I recommend Bick's 4 lovingly rubbed into the leather. If you do want to re-upholster, just make sure you know a high-quality shop. At which point it may be cheaper to simply buy new panels and seats!

just had my front drivers seat redone in my 325i one shop quoted $1,500.00 i looked around and found a whole in the wall shop that charged me $500.00 for new leather ,the seat looks brand new, great job, i find out that this guy does custom car interiors many are featured in hot rod magazine !!!!!