Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Reputation takes a hit

Discussion in 'Member Feedback' started by E92Dreier, Aug 27, 2010.

E92Dreier

This is the first time I am realizing that I have a red indicator next to my username on this site, because I have been 'naughty'...But, wait...I've paid my dues, I've provided detailed DIY files to other members, I have spent my time being helpful when I could...what is up ?

SO, then I investigate and realize that one member has labelled me rude, hateful, and unbecoming a cca member -- I'm guessing this is probably not because I spend my spare time on this site helping other members answer their questions, and searching through my own files for helpful links. Perhaps I should reconsider those efforts and spend my time instead writing complaints about the statements of other members that I find too hard to stomach. But, that would be unbecoming of a CCA member, counterproductive, rude, and perhaps, even hateful.

It is very common, in most arenas, that the complainers have the loudest voice -- their intensity on an issue is what drives them to spend the time to actually write a complaint. It seems to me that there is the same risk here on this site, with our current reputation system.

I am going to suggest that you don't list the name of the complainer next to the complaint on my user profile. I am also going to suggest that a moderator reaches out in the event of a complaint to 1) mediate any hard feelings 2)make involved parties aware of the reputation changes. That way, they can act accordingly , immediately.
    2 people like this.

bcweir

It's a BIG community, and I hope there's room for tolerance for different opinions.

I'm probably NOT the most laid-back member here, but I am probably easier to live with than some (NOT going to name names). For crying out loud, the BMWCCA has around 70,000 members. If one member has problems with ONE member that they do know, what does that say about the other 70,000 or so members that you DON'T KNOW? Who knows, there might be a lurker who's 1,000 times more of a PITA than the person you have a difference with! For crying out loud, can't MOST of us just get along?

I generally try not to "make it or take it personal," but I do draw the line in four areas:
    • Don't make it political. I can be a moderate politically without calling my BMW loyalty into question. That and my politics are really none of your business. Just because my politics may be to the LEFT of yours doesn't make me a liberal, and just because they're to the RIGHT of yours doesn't make me a conservative either. Proud to be politically independent. By the way, I don't consider it "political" to point out something that's illlegal, unsafe, unprudent, any mix of the two, or all of the above.
    • My religion also has nothing to do with my hobby. God will someday judge us all on a basis having nothing to do with automotive hobbies, so let's keep your religion and mine out of it, OK? Judge not, lest you yourself be judged.
    • Don't call my family, friends, or specifics of my biology into question. It only makes YOU look juvenile and begs the question of whether your own position can withstand debate.
    • Let's keep race, ethnicity, gender, national origin, out of our differences ok?

E92Dreier

Hear you on all points -- and thanks for reading, replying.

...just wanted to point out a fault that I see in the system - because I am not rude or hateful, and I am now branded with a little red dot that paints me as such. I am not named Hester, don't make me wear a scarlet letter :D!

I find this reputation hit I have taken to be strangely amusing...but it is also a little bit juvenile -- and I am immature enough to spend a mintue to comment about it.

Pyewacket1

IMO, you've already given the issue far more attention that it deserved. If I have a problem with what someone else posts, I'l tell them, along with why I think its a problem. To me, thats being courteous. Its also how we learn things.

I might, at some point, report bad behavior, but at least the "offender" will know who did it (simply because I'll tell them who did it).

Look at it this way....Somebody read at least one of your postings...

Deutsch Marques

My suggestion to the site admin and moderators would be this. Ditch the little reputation display for each user. Instead just use a reporting system. See an inappropriate post? Click the little "report to moderator" button and let them edit/delete the post or warn/ban the poster behind the scenes. Simple. Efficient. No hard feelings.

E92Dreier

:D
    Almost always a good thing.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

The Forum Nannies are watching

You mean. . . you mean. . .

Somebody might REPORT ME?!

Oh, no: double-secret probation AGAIN!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    1 people like this.

I don't know about the red dots (or the black helicopters), but I do find it ironic that I have loads more "Rep Power" than the notable Satch. Perhaps, I should start offering financial advice for sale.

az3579

Perhaps you should. :)
    Oh Saaaaaaaaaatch, you've got a lot of catching up to do! :D

E92Dreier

Thanks for the chuckles - and now I am green again. I guess someone like me. :p

tiFreak

better give him a hand :D