Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Replacing wheel bearings - womdering if I should replace axles

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by frito, May 6, 2018.

frito

I have an '01 325i with 210,000 miles on it. I am placing an order to replace all four wheel bearings, rotors, pads and rubber lines with braided steel lines. I'm curious if, with the high mileage on it, I should replace the rear axles while I'm in there. They need to come out in order to replace the bearings so figured this would be a good time to do it. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

MGarrison

It's a maybe - check the axles for play in the universal joints; if you have slop and a lot of lost motion, replacement is probably warranted. If they're not loose, they're not worn out.

frito

Thanks. I'll take a close look at them when I take them out. When I did my Vanos and thermostat I went ahead a and replaced all the hoses, water pipes, factory water pump that I don't know how it survived 200,000 miles and a handful of other "while I'm in there" sort of things. That's why I'm replacing the rubber brake lines and all that stuff. I figure after 210,000 miles and 17 years of service, they have exceeded their useful lives and since I'll be in there anyway...

I really want to get started. It's been out of commission since the fall when I felt like my wheels were going to fall off. The bearings had been making noise for quite a while but I just never got around to replacing them. The time is now so I can enjoy my driving again.
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

I would, as mentioned above check the shafts for play and the dust boots to see if they are cracking or torn. If not they I would keep using them and save the money for other repairs.

frito

Thanks. I'll let you know how goes when I finish.